Different types of pcb adding a little color to the interior

Started by breather-resistor, September 04, 2007, 12:54:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

breather-resistor

I was just wondering if anyone here had a source for some flashy pcb material...  Maybe something like John Lyons was using.  I use positeve presensitized and so far I have only been able to find datak or gc stuff which is fine but maybe a little boring.  I have cracked open marshall heads and seen a big shining red pcb... surely its got to be out there.

any ideas?

geoff

The Tone God

Most commercial colour circuit boards are done by using a solder mask of the requested colour. DIY board etchers do not perform this step so you won't be able to have colour in the same manner.

I guess you could spray a candy colour over your board when its done but it will make solder annoying and stinky.

Andrew

Arn C.

I guess you could use different colors of plexiglass and drill all your own holes.  the thin stuff can be quite brittle tho.

Peace!
Arn C.

breather-resistor

hmm,

Aren't there different types of pcb material I could use, even if it wasn't a certain color...  I am mostly interested in something different than the cat sh1t green, I wouldn't be too particular...

thanks for the ideas.

geoff

Arn C.

I have seen dark brown and light brown, besides the green you mention.

Peace!
Arn C.

John Lyons

HA! I almost bought some neat bright blue circuit board material last time but I opted for the opaque tan MXR looking CEM board.
Usually you only see the pale green, a sort of clear-ish white, tan or amber-ish brown colored stuff.

John

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

The Tone God

Usually the white/brown/green colour is the fibreglass the board is made of. Even if you cut one of the odd coloured boards you will see that uncoloured fibreglass.

Andrew

John Lyons

Not to argue but the fibers/fiberglass/cloth etc are white ish and the resin/epoxy/binder etc is what is colored.
The blue stuff I saw was blue all the way through, but yes, anything that gets cut or drilled will turn white-ish due to breaking the fibers.

John

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

markm

Quote from: John Lyons on September 04, 2007, 11:07:49 PM
Not to argue but the fibers/fiberglass/cloth etc are white ish and the resin/epoxy/binder etc is what is colored.
The blue stuff I saw was blue all the way through, but yes, anything that gets cut or drilled will turn white-ish due to breaking the fibers.

John

The Brown stuff is nice and vintage looking too.  8)

breather-resistor

ok so my question is;

where are you guys finding that stuff...  Everytime I look through the usual stuff on line its just sick green datak...  that tan stuff you had john looked awesome... can one get that presensitized???

geoff

John Lyons

I would imagine you can get it in pre sensitized but I have not personally seen it. The stuff I use is "new old stock" from a surplus place.
Spraying the top of a board some color before putting the parts in should work fine. The board doesn't get too hot on top...

John

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

Satch12879

Colored conformal coating or epoxy after all your components are installed ala Cornish.
Passive sucks.

Progressive Sound, Ltd.
progressivesoundltd@yahoo.com

darron

i've been keeping an eye out also. the browns/greens are boring. i use the 3pdt pcb mount so people would only ever see the copper side of the board. blue would be awesome! i'd like to see something other than copper too, but i guess that comes at a VERY slight compromise of resistance. the solder masks always look cool. i suppose i could candy spray the solder-side for circuit protection...

where do you get something like this? :D

Blood, Sweat & Flux. Pedals made with lasers and real wires!

dano12

Get a couple of paint pens and you can go wild on the interior of a box. Lot's of builders focus on hand-painting the outside, but what about the inside?