Dual Rotary Switches for clipping diodes

Started by the recluse, September 05, 2007, 01:11:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the recluse

This thought came to me today, an I was wondering if anyone had implemented soething like it, and if so, how successful they were.

Would it be possible to take the clipping section of a pedal (ts, rat, etc.) and replace each diode with a 1PXT (e.g., X=6) rotary switch.  The diodes on each switch would be wired the opposite of the other so that the number of possible clipping combinations would be X2.   Would the space necessary for this mod be worth possible combinations? 

One of my next projects is going to be John Hollis' Omnidrive, and I am wondering if this would be a worthwhile for extra versatility in that circuit.  If so I can put in for some cheap rotary switches in my next futurlec order.

Is this just overkill?  I have experimented enough to know that changing the diodes can produce some dramatic results, but how much is too much? 

Any suggestions for a certain number of specific combinations?

the_random_hero

Quote from: the recluse on September 05, 2007, 01:11:47 PM
This thought came to me today, an I was wondering if anyone had implemented soething like it, and if so, how successful they were.

Would it be possible to take the clipping section of a pedal (ts, rat, etc.) and replace each diode with a 1PXT (e.g., X=6) rotary switch.  The diodes on each switch would be wired the opposite of the other so that the number of possible clipping combinations would be X2.   Would the space necessary for this mod be worth possible combinations? 

One of my next projects is going to be John Hollis' Omnidrive, and I am wondering if this would be a worthwhile for extra versatility in that circuit.  If so I can put in for some cheap rotary switches in my next futurlec order.

Is this just overkill?  I have experimented enough to know that changing the diodes can produce some dramatic results, but how much is too much? 

Any suggestions for a certain number of specific combinations?

Definitely not overkill, it's actually a feature of my next build :) There are plenty of things you can try - 1n400x's, 1N34A's, different coloured LED's, mosfets, etc. You could also have something like a warp control for each set of diodes. That would give you a LOT of sounds to play with.
Completed Projects - Modded DS1, The Stiffy, Toaster Ruby, Octobooster Mk. II, Pedal Power Supply

the recluse

What do you mean by warp control exactly?  Is it something you're borrowing from another circuit?

the_random_hero

Quote from: the recluse on September 05, 2007, 11:14:49 PM
What do you mean by warp control exactly?  Is it something you're borrowing from another circuit?

It sure is. Click here
Completed Projects - Modded DS1, The Stiffy, Toaster Ruby, Octobooster Mk. II, Pedal Power Supply

the recluse

Thanks.  Definitely an option, perhaps I will save it for later.  I think I will definitely incorporate the dual rotaries for the clippers. This may turn out to be a fun little project.

theblueark

I've done it to my Ds1.

I don't get X2 many combinations though. Cos led-silicone is the same as silicone-led.

Ben N

This degree of flexibility seems to me to make more sense as part of a stompbox development platform rather than in an actual stompbox, since a lot of the possibilities are likely to just not sound very good. For testing and development purposes there have been other such projects documented here, using rotaries, dip switches or toggles (e.g. check out the Clipping Mods section here: http://www.beavisaudio.com/Projects/ScreamerLab/). Then you can try just plug the clipping test module into your breadboarded design, see which cliping options sound good, and build only those options into your pedal with simplified switching.
  • SUPPORTER

col

I did this on one of the first boxes I built using the Electra distortion circuit. I used Ge, Si, 1N400x, LEDs and two pairs of strange looking un-numbered ones that were in a mixed bag I bought, but sound similar to 1N4148s with a little less volume.  What I found was that the different diodes sounded better with different guitars. The ones that I thought sounded the best at all times were the LEDs. I also built a hogs foot, screaming bird and LPB and no boost into the same enclosure as the distortion with a 4 way switch to choose between them.
I opened it up a couple of weeks ago and was apalled at my lack of soldering skill then! I'd also used 3 or 4 times as much wire as I needed to.
It was an interesting if wasteful experiment for a 'Newbie' but it helped me understand how different components can make a big difference to the sound in such simple circuits. I have never used it in my bands and it has seen little use in the home. I think it would be better to do the same experiment with a better sounding circuit that would get used such as the New (Blue) Clipper. The multiple booster is very good but it is in the same enclosure and I can't turn the diodes off without rebuilding it. I might just recover the booster bit of the circuit and box it up separately.
If you're interested then go for it! You could also try different input/output caps on a rotary and see how they affect the sound.
Col

the recluse

I have pretty much decided to do this when I build the omnidrive.  I am kind of looking at is as a variable experimentation platform.  From what I have read I understand the Omni doesn't mimic any of the pedals it emulates exactly, but having the various options available for the various types of pedals might be fun. If I find ones I like a lot, I can use that as a one-stop starting point for modifying my existing buildsor for influencing future ones. 

Unfortunately time constraints, and the expected length of delivery from futurlec  will probably delay this build's completion for a while, but I'll post the results when I'm through.

alparent

Quote from: the recluse on September 06, 2007, 10:38:21 PM
Unfortunately time constraints, and the expected length of delivery from futurlec  will probably delay this build's completion for a while, but I'll post the results when I'm through.

OK you had 3 years to build this.........any results?

I was just about to do the same thing! Omnidrive with a selectable clipping section.

The ULTIMATE overdrive!

Joe Hart

Quote from: alparent on November 30, 2010, 07:13:18 PM
Quote from: the recluse on September 06, 2007, 10:38:21 PM
OK you had 3 years to build this.........any results?

Futurlec is a little slower than usual, perhaps?  :)
-Joe Hart

the recluse

Wow this is an OLD thread.

I did eventually get the omnidrive built, without the dual rotary switches for clipping.  It was an interesting circuit, but it had limited utility in my pedalboard, and I ended up selling it to an acquaintance.

Not much time to build these days, nor keep up on my forum reading, but hopefully I'll be firing up the soldering iron again soon...