Started by stopstopsmile, September 06, 2007, 05:45:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stopstopsmile

I want to put together an amazingly simple circuit-that sounds great
I want to get all the parts at radioshack
and I want the least amount of parts possible
I want it to be super super simple that a novice
could put together in like 30 minutes on perf
can be boost, octave, fuzz, overdrive, etc.

any chance?

zyxwyvu

For those requirements, the Beginner Project is a great choice.

mojotron

You can always find a circuit that does 1 or 2 of these well

For instance, you could build an Axis face:

http://fuzzcentral.ssguitar.com/axisface.php

Use the 2n222 transistors RS sells and include the smooth pot 100k(A or B) should work for a the smooth or level pots.

These are great as a boost, overdrive, fuzz and can do some octave related sounds. It may not be your thing, but I built one of these and use it a lot of times as my only effect.

However - do you really want to use something built by a novice in 30 minutes? Anything worth putting 30 minutes into is really going to take a couple of days for a novice to complete.

foxfire

easy as all get out, it sounds good and it is easy to mod, http://www.home-wrecker.com/bazz.html.

Pushtone

BOOSTERS!
Pick one, anyone.
Try the Strat-o-blaster and leave out the pot, I mean replace it with a resistor.
That'll make it easier and cheaper too. Just a footswitch and an LED on the top.

While I eliminating nonessential parts, leave out the DC jack, battery power only, easier still.

Don't skimp on the rest of the parts. Bad jacks (Radio Shack) and plastic boxes (also Radio Shack) are harder to work with than better quality parts.
Bad parts can be damaged by heat faster than quality ones.
Plastic boxes are cheap ($$) but the die cast box takes a build into a different level of performance, as in, you can actually preform with them!

To really get a quality build quickly, mail order a die cast box that is already powder coated. Choose a color.
Paint over it if you want. Powder coat makes for a tough primer coat.

Consider buying one of the many fine pedal kits, available from www.generalguitargadgets.com
(shameless plug for the guy who opened the door to the weekend hobbyist, JD Sleep).

AND  www.olcircuits.com

You'll get all the parts and a PCB to boot.

I've tried a few simple perf-projects, but a PCB is going to be easier for a first timer.
If I had started on perf I don't think I would have gotten one circuit working.
After a few PCB projects I tried a perf project and it took me three tries (as in throwing parts away).
The second perf project took me two tries.

I just completed my third perf build and I got it on the first try.
I'm stoked, even though these are simple circuits. It builds confidence.
Is that what your looking to do in a builder?
If so, go get a pedal kit IMO.
You could do something cooler than a booster with a kit and keep the learning curve low.

Just some suggestions.
It's time to buy a gun. That's what I've been thinking.
Maybe I can afford one, if I do a little less drinking. - Fred Eaglesmith

hubble

alembic stratoblaster!

i built mine from spare parts i stole off junk boards laying around.