any layouts out there for nelson's citrus graphic mkII?

Started by foxfire, September 07, 2007, 10:45:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foxfire

i found the schematic but, the link for the layout is dead, http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=46492.0. i am mostly sure i can figure it but, i figured i'd ask. i'd also like to ask those who have built it if you have any tips or suggestions? and finally, does it sound like an Orange?  thanks, rylan

John Lyons

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

nelson

Quote from: John Lyons on September 07, 2007, 11:21:11 PM
I sent it to you via email

John

Hey john,

If that is the layout I did for the orange with the stereo power amp IC, could you send it to me too?
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

audioguy

Oh man I've been looking for ths for a while now... can I get a copy?

Emnitec

ulysses

why doesnt someone post it in the gallery?  ;)

how does it sound?

cheers
ulysses

John Lyons

Nelson

Yes, I can send it to you but I'm out of town and away from my files for 3 weeks.
I think I have the Citrus graphic, Ring stinger and maybe another...
Which ones do you already have/did you already get from others in that last thread about getting your lost files back?

Back on topic:
Do you have any sound clips of the MKII?
I have a board etched but need to populate it, it's been a while now!!\

Thanks for putting this together Nelson!!

John

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

foxfire

do a search for "citrus graphic mkII" and you'll find a schematic for it. and you can just fit it on a medium sized perf.

foxfire

i built this up last night using my perf layout. working from Nelson's schematic i didn't do the fac control and i'm running it at 18v. it sounds pretty darn good. use good trim pots! i might suggest using a standard pot to rough tune it so that you can use a trimmer value that is closer to what you'll actually need. i have spent a lot of time adjusting my trimmers(they ain't the highest of quality) and ended up using 50ks for the first 2. i only have 4)2n7000's, 3)mpf102's and 2)j201's. not much to pick from. the 2n7ooo's work but not well. i ended up with 2)mpf102's and 2)j201's. if i had more to pick from i probably wouldn't have had to spend so much time on the trimmers.

through my little peavey audition combo i wouldn't say it sounds like an Orange but, it does sound super damn thick. i think it's as close as my peavey will ever get to an Orange. though my Acoustic 160(tube amp) it sounded really super damn thick and a bit closer to an Orange. i'm getting the impression that part of what makes this guy sound like an orange is miss biasing one or some of the jfets. i could get a very Orange'ish sound out of it but, note decay suffered. like i said a better collection of jfets and i could probably dial in a happy medium. all and all it's a cool pedal worth the work. i'm gonna spend some time on it and it will be going in a box. though the circuit fit on one of those radio shack medium sized perf boards i don't think i'll be squeezing this into a 1590ns box.

if anyone wants to see my layout i could try to scan it and post it just say the words? it's hand drawn but it should scan alright.

John Lyons

Cool, thanks for the review Foxfire.
If you can scan your layout that would be nice to see.

John

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

foxfire

here is a parts list and my layout. i'm so completely lost on how to label things so that you don't piss anyone off. so if my labeling pisses you off let me know and i'll change it. i'm not trying to be a smart ass, honest. i need to get into using one of those fancy layout programs. if you have any questions about it feel free to ask.

audioguy

foxfire

no problem it's nice to finally be able to give something back. i just hope it's readable.

foxfire

this might be a bit easier to read. if you see anything wrong let me know.

audioguy

So im thinking about tackling this one this weekend... Question about the cap values... Why do C's 2, 9, 12 & 13 have 2 values? Did I miss a discussion on those?

Thanks!

foxfire

Nelson's schematic calls for all four of them to be 0.68uf. there were some people (sorry for forgeting who you are) that suggested using 0.068uf's. i used sockets for all four of the caps and, tried both 0.068uf's and 0.47uf's (i don't have any 0.68uf's) and i didn't really notice a difference. i was very happy that my layout worked so i may not have given the test my full attention. i also used sockets for both of the 470R-1K resistors. they control the amount of boost and can be adjusted. you could also swap them out for a pot if you wanted to.

one more note to add, i believe at some point Nelson suggested using 2n5458's for Q1 and Q2. so if you have any you may want to try it with them also.