searching for a LOUD booster

Started by Marcos - Munky, September 07, 2007, 11:40:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marcos - Munky

Doesn't need to be clean, just loud. And as simple as possible :icon_razz:, to do a quick and small build. I was thinking about a mosfet booster. Any suggestion?

foxfire

isn't the stratoblaster is supposed to be pretty loud, http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/v/MarkMs-Gallery/album15/album76/Stratoblaster_LAYOUT_001.png.html. i haven't built it but thats what i hear. MarkM's gallery is full of boosters.

96ecss

Mofet Booster is a good choice. Don't rule out the Mini Booster either. I have both on my pedal board.

Dave

ulysses

how simple do you want to get?

an opamp running at 18volts delivering clean feedback would do the trick nicely..

cheers
ulysses

d95err

No booster is "loud". Connect one to a speaker and see...   ;D

If you're talking about maximum output signal amplitude, the only way to go is opamps (e.g MXR Microamp). Most opamps can go very close to the power supply voltages on the output swing. Simple one transistor boosters will have a lot less headroom.

petemoore

really simple?
  Mosfet or Hg/LN biplar, can't miss.
  Quick and not that dirty is the LPB.
  Mosfet Boost is a touch louder.
  that otta do it?
  Upping the supply V [say 12v+] would be the next louder-cleaner step, then something with 2 transistors, nah..split supply opamp.
  *Jfet boost with a source follower on it like Omega..smooth driving, Miles.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

g3rmanium

Call me Johann.

squidsquad

Search for the Titan Boost...I haven't made one...but read it's suppose to be VERY strong.

jlullo

twangquack

Boosters can be addictive because even though they are supposed to do one thing well, they all have a slightly different sound. I built the Stratoblaster (Improved) and it has a great tone, especially with my old Strat (duh, hence the name) ... it's very full range, not too fat, really excellent. It gives a nice boost but there are others that will make you (even more so) the LOUDNESS KING.

Jack Orman's Mosfet Boost is one loud mo'fo to be sure. Maybe a bit too transparent for some, but a great boost when you want to try multiple boost pedals, varying the gain of the individual circuits. I've used it into both the AMZ Mini-booster and a Red Llama clone and it kicks butt and takes names.

The Mini-Booster is a bit fatter (to my ears) than the Stratoblaster, but just a tad ... pretty close, not too fat. More colored, according to Jack, than the Mosfet ... but as he has stated -- "in a good way."

A good way, indeed. This turned out to be such a favorite I had to use the improved BMP tone controls (I used the values Jack listed so that it goes from pretty flat response to a substantial mid-cut on the "body" control). You want Tele/Strat "oink" with a super-scooped tone? Turn the body control down and nudge a bit towards the treble end of things with the tone control. (Maybe not the best for playing out with your band, when you need the necessary addition of more midrange) but it sure gets super-oinky in the living room with those low-string bends. I love balancing the "body" control against the tone control. And when you want your "fat Strat" back, turn the body up towards full, tweak the tone control to the bassier realms and it'll be as fat as a lobbyist's wallet.

I ended up making my Mini-Booster an 18V monster so I could be the Headroom King and though I lost a bit o' grit, obviously, I can always bring the Red Llama into the party, turn the drive way up and make the cat scamper.

I have to say, the Stratoblaster is also pretty cool and deliciously simple. But not the loudest of the bunch ... but maybe it's just my build of it.

birt

http://www.last.fm/user/birt/
visit http://www.effectsdatabase.com for info on (allmost) every effect in the world!

David

Munky:

Build a Muffer without the clipping diodes and cap.  All the boost you can use.  Will pound a tube amp nicely.  Fifteen minutes of work.

JHS

What is your definition of "LOUD".

I think you mean output voltage swing.

The SHO have a lot of output when the crackle pot is dimed out,  but then it sounds like crap and oversaturates any amp or FX input stage.

For high output run a simple "whatever"-booster on 30V, build a multistage boost , or even better, build a booster around an ECC83 or 82 and run it on 150V min., it will have enough output to drive a slave amp.

IMHO 6V peak-to-peak output is enough for a booster.

JHS

Mark Hammer

Gain is multiplicative.  So, anything....times two....up to the point where you run out of headroom in the pedal or the amp.

tcobretti

BTW, remember that you can blow a solid state amp with too loud of an input signal.

MartyMart

Quote from: squidsquad on September 08, 2007, 02:43:07 PM
Search for the Titan Boost...I haven't made one...but read it's suppose to be VERY strong.

+1 for the Titan Boost it doesn't come up enough and is an incredible boost circuit.
MM
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com