Possible eBay find? Looks like tropical fish to me...

Started by culturejam, November 16, 2007, 11:14:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

culturejam

This guys is selling a 6-pound lot of what he calls "resistors", but they look like tropical fish to me.

Auction link here.

What do you guys think?

Nasse

I have some real old ones, and R.G. posted that famous his d.i.y trick and I think I can made some of my old ones as Orage Drops if I can find some orange shiny epoxy.

Colour charts for trop fish cap values is still availabel. Just if ya want say so I´ll post mine old Philips and Jostykit pics on line.   
  • SUPPORTER

culturejam

Quote from: Nasse on November 16, 2007, 11:25:48 AM
I have some real old ones, and R.G. posted that famous his d.i.y trick and I think I can made some of my old ones as Orage Drops if I can find some orange shiny epoxy.

Uh, so does that mean  you think the ones in the auction are fakes?  ;D

Nasse

OOOps llooks like real ones and I have several 10´s in my parts bag.  I would pay happily a 10 euros for a bag of happily coloured poly caps if the bag is big enough

Nothing helps breadboarding more than good set of parts many values you need in good order, with some knowledge this forum gan give you how to use the parts

But I am only an old fart on old country of Finland where everything costs more than in everywhere else. But remember they are just ordinary poly caps.
  • SUPPORTER

Marcos - Munky

ambulancevoice

and yeah, there tropical fish capacitors, not resistors
Open Your Mouth, Heres Your Money

brefmint

Looks like all the ones in the pic are 1 uF  +/-10% 250 volt caps. I wonder if they are all the same. 6lbs is alot of caps!
Builds-- Fuzz Face, Tubescreamer(x2), AMZ Miniboost (x3), AMZ Mosfet Boost, Rangemaster(x2), Atari Punk Console, Ruby Amp w/ Bassman mod, EA Tremolo, Java Boost,

Working on: Tube Reamer/Miniboost Combo

jonathan perez

no longer the battle of midway...(i left that band)...

i hate signatures with gear lists/crap for sale....

i am a wah pervert...ask away...

nbabmf

I scored a shitload of components off the 'bay last week and they came yesterday.  There's some serious mojo in that box.

vanessa

I bought a few originals recently. I had to be very careful when soldering because the material around the legs would crumble. I even had it crumble where a leg fell off.
Finally I dipped a pair in some clear epoxy glue and let it sit overnight. No problems after that and the wah-wah sounds good.
I think I would just pass on those next time. Even though they look cool there's no difference in tone between these and say greenies for that matter.

jonathan perez

no longer the battle of midway...(i left that band)...

i hate signatures with gear lists/crap for sale....

i am a wah pervert...ask away...

wlrs

Who makes the greenies?? are the tropical fish caps polystyrene capacitors?
Thanks.
wlrs

vanessa

Quote from: wlrs on November 18, 2007, 07:04:45 AM
Who makes the greenies?? are the tropical fish caps polystyrene capacitors?
Thanks.
wlrs

A lot a manufactures make "greenies", Xicon comes to mind. It's been sooo long since I did the research (maybe someone can chime in) here's a go...
Tropical fish caps later evolved into what you see these days as "orange drops". But in more recent years with the much smaller box caps available, manufactures are targeting the modern orange drops for higher voltage applications and thus have been made bigger, so the size has become prohibitive in small circuits like a wah-wah. The greenies have basically the same makeup as orange drops but can be had in smaller sized units. The only real difference is the smaller vintage TF/OD's tend to be longer length wise shorter in height, the greenies are shorter length wise but taller in height. The greenies may lack "the cool factor", but sound the same. At least I'm not hearing any special mojo coming compared to like made caps.