Appropriate Noise

Started by foozertone, September 09, 2007, 05:37:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foozertone

How much noise is to be expected from a Orange Squeezer? Just curious of what the optimum would be.

Thanks

Jeff

bioroids

I didn't notice more than normal noise from my Orange Squeezer. As any compressor, it can boost the noise you already have in the signal, but I don't play a particularly clean setup, and the pedal works just fine.

Regards

Miguel
Eramos tan pobres!

foozertone

should it be transpearent or is some noise normal?

Mark Hammer

Some noise is "normal" in virtually ANY compressor.  That's just how they work....unfortunately. :icon_sad:

You will note that the noise level subsides when you play and comes up again when you stop playing.  Although I imagine one could reduce noise levels a wee bit by using higher quality components for the OS, the difference in noise level will be quite modest at best.

Just so you know, the stock OS applies a gain of x23 to the input signal it sees.  The 82k resistor and attached FET act like a volume pot that turns down what gets fed to the x23 amplifier stage.  Higher-level input signal turn down that volume control, and stopping playing allows the automatic volume control to get turned back up full, at which point the x23 gain is applied to whatever noise is at the input jack.