Tim Escobedo's Q &D Question

Started by Baktown, September 10, 2007, 09:19:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baktown

All,

On the vero layout and schematic for Tim Escobedo's Q & D, there's a CV input.  What does CV stand for? 

Thanks,

Axl Bundy

widdly

It stands for Control Voltage.  It refers to a varying voltage source used to modulate a parameter, in this case the filter cutoff.  It can be as simple as the center tap of a pot wired between V+ and gnd or something more complicated like a vanishing point sequencer.

Baktown

Thanks for the info, but I'm still confused!  I'm a rank beginner here, so bare with me.

For the purposes of this build, what should I do?

Thanks!

Axl

widdly

There is already a frequency knob and a resonance knob there so you can control the filter with those. 

You can leave off the CV in all together.  The effect will work fine if don't connect anything there. It's an option so that later on you could add say an expression pedal to the effect.

Baktown

Cool!  I think I understand now.  One last question:  I really like the "reverse" sound this pedal gets as heard on the sound file, will I need a CV source to accomplish this sound?

Thanks,

Axl

widdly

I'm not sure which sound file you are talking about.  I couldn't see any Q&D samples on Tim's website

Baktown

MartyMart

That sound sample is the Q&D compressor, not Tim's VCF !!
It uses the SSM 2166 chip, for comp/limit/gate/boost using minimal components.

MM.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

Baktown

OK!

Thanks for the clarification.

Axl