|HOME| |DIY FAQ| |GEO FAQ| |Debugging Page| |Links| |Schematics| |Wiki| |Layouts Gallery| |STORE|
|AMPAGE| |GEOFEX| |AMZ|

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 23, 2014, 01:52:33 AM
960304 Posts in 102679 Topics by 32376 Members
Latest Member: DeathMeister
Home Help Login Register
DIYstompboxes.com  |  Projects  |  Beginner Project  |  Problem when boxing it up 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Problem when boxing it up  (Read 2034 times)
Timebutt

Effects Addict

Problem when boxing it up
« on: September 12, 2007, 01:11:03 AM »

Hi,
I built this booster about a month ago without buying the enclosure yet: I thought it wouldn't work out and an enclosure was not going to be required Wink
Well anyway: my first DIY project worked immediately, even with the two mods I did (input switch capacitor and transistor switch), so I ordered an enclosure along with knobs etc ... and I started putting the circuit in there about three days ago. But eversince: I've been having problems with the circuit, whereas this thing would boost my bass signal up to an incredible amount (I had to turn down my pre-gain all the way down to be able to play at 'normal' volumes) so I really had tons of boost like 10 times the original signal or someting. But now that I boxed it up the circuit responds in a completely different way: the boost I got now is not even double of the volume, more like 1-2dB boost at max setting and it's not fuzzy anymore at max setting (it was before I boxed it up, a very interesting sound in fact).

It's even so that one of my two transistors seems to put out next to nothing at all (2N2222a) while the 2N5088 at least gives 'some' boost. I added a clip here that goes from bypass to max boost with 2N5088 to max boost with 2N2222A.
Before you ask: yes I checked if my transistors are put in correctly and they should be because the 2N5088 seems to pass signal just fine? I just added this clip because maybe it can give somebody the idea of what might be wrong with my circuit? Since it's worked great before I doubt that it's a soldering mistake to the circuit itsself, maybe something else went wrong that I can't seem to find right now?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Completed Projects: Gus Smalley Booster, Modded Russian Big Muff, Orange Squeezer, BYOC Vibrato, Phase 90
newfish

Ian S.

Re: Problem when boxing it up
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2007, 03:41:14 AM »

Hi,

First place I'd start is to take the circuit out of the box and re-try.

Is this a metal or plastic enclosure?  If metal, I'd check for shorts to the case - then for loose components which may have moved when you installed the board.

Don't know about you but getting a board inside a box is always a mammoth task for me, and I usually nudge a couple of components around.

Have you soldered anything new inplace too?  Switches and the like, for example.  Checking your soldering on anything that's changed would also be a handy place to start.

Hope this helps.

Ian.

Happiness is a warm etchant bath.
AL

Adrian L.

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2007, 06:57:49 AM »

Newfish has a good place to start. Take it back out of the box and make sure it's working. Check to see if your components are hitting things (ie - the box) when you install the circuit.

AL
Timebutt

Effects Addict

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2007, 12:07:15 PM »

I got it working!
It's just: there is still a connection that seems to touch the enclosure now and then which shuts off all of the signal, but I'm working on it Wink
Consider the problem solved Smiley

Completed Projects: Gus Smalley Booster, Modded Russian Big Muff, Orange Squeezer, BYOC Vibrato, Phase 90
AL

Adrian L.

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2007, 12:02:37 PM »

icon_cool
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: