Danelectro D-2 FAB Overdrive Schematics

Started by tcio, September 14, 2007, 01:36:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tcio

Hello all.

I am trying to get schematics for the Danelectro D-2 FAB Overdrive. For some reason this cheap little $10 piece of plastic plugged into an old MXR 6 band EQ and ran through a H & K Blues Master just screams (also an ART Tube EQ). I did replace the clipping Diode in it with a 1N4007 which is the same one that is in the H & K Cream Machine. I have been running both of these amps switching back and forth. Lots of cables, expensive switcher, setup time, tear down time, weight, baggage, $$$$, etc.

My goal has been to find a distortion or overdrive pedal to run into the Blues Master and get the sound of the Cream Machine. So far I have tried a modded Sd-1, modded DS-1. Marshall Jackhammer,and a modded Ibanez TS-5. I won't even mention the other few dozen I tried out in the past 5 months. Although they were not tried out for this exact setup, I still remember their characteristics and they just weren't what I was looking for. Strange that I got the closest tone I was after out of a cheap plastic pedal but after I switched diodes I really got closer and am convinced I could get there if I could just get the schematics for this darn thing and build my own, I have seen the schematics for the Danelectro FAB Distortion. Does anyone know if these are close to the same and/or what the differences might be or where I can find the schematics for the D-2? These things have so many micro-components that modding them is out of the question (at least at my level of experience). Please let me know anything - really would appreciate it :)

Thanks in advance

George Giblet

There's a forum thread on the web (on the Harmony Central Forum?) that shows schematics, but no values, for the dan FAB stuff. 

IIRC:  It's like a tube screamer except the gain pot is in the ground path, like an mxr distortion+, instead of in the feedback path like a TS.  The filtering uses different values to the TS.

tcio

Quote from: George Giblet on September 15, 2007, 08:14:15 AM
There's a forum thread on the web (on the Harmony Central Forum?) that shows schematics, but no values, for the dan FAB stuff. 

IIRC:  It's like a tube screamer except the gain pot is in the ground path, like an mxr distortion+, instead of in the feedback path like a TS.  The filtering uses different values to the TS.

Thanks! That does help - Really appreciate your time :)

DougH

The Fab Overdrive is the one that is similar to a tube screamer. The Fab Distortion is something else entirely. I've seen the schem before but don't remember much about it. It's op amp based, and I believe it has a gyrator for mids control or something. You can probably search the forum for the old threads.
"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you."

Processaurus

Quote from: DougH on October 10, 2007, 07:47:39 AM
The Fab Overdrive is the one that is similar to a tube screamer. The Fab Distortion is something else entirely. I've seen the schem before but don't remember much about it. It's op amp based, and I believe it has a gyrator for mids control or something. You can probably search the forum for the old threads.

The tone control is a very nice design, on the Fab Distortion.  It goes from dark to full range, to an odd, cool treble boost that also kills the hi hi's.  On Mr Clay's schematic it also is about half the circuitry of the pedal. 

WGTP

I have hunted for the schematics for the distortion and can't find it.  Any idea where it is at, or how the tone control is set up?   :icon_cool:
Stomping Out Sparks & Flames

DougH

Fab overdrive schematic is here:

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=41875.40

There is also a text outline of the Fab distortion.
"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you."

tcio

Quote from: DougH on October 11, 2007, 04:08:01 PM
Fab overdrive schematic is here:

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=41875.40

There is also a text outline of the Fab distortion.

"FANTASTIC!"

I really appreciate your time. I searched high and low and couldn't find anything but the distortion schematics. Can't wait to start this project :)

Quote from: WGTP on October 11, 2007, 03:25:46 PM
I have hunted for the schematics for the distortion and can't find it.  Any idea where it is at, or how the tone control is set up?   :icon_cool:

I didn't see the FAB Distortion but didn't look very hard seeing I don't need it. I cannot find the site where I found it (seemed to have vanished) but can email it to anyone who is still looking for it as I cannot figure out how to attach or add an image from my HD to this site.  :icon_frown: