Tonebone Classic Mod for more output?

Started by aarondavis, September 19, 2007, 08:03:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aarondavis

Has anyone come across a mod to increase the output of a Tonebone Classic significantly?  Mine just cant compete with my Eternity or Keeley RAT in output.  So using them together live just plain stinks.

I'm not a schematics reader, but I can solder and follow instructions quite well (have modded dozens of other pedals too). Any help would be appreciated.   

bancika

can you add a signal booster after the pedal without modding it? It's starving tube pedal, tubes don't amplify signal that much and it looks like they are not recovering gain afterwards. Maybe there's place inside the chassis to add opamp stage or something at the output? External boost would solve it also...
The new version of DIY Layout Creator is out, check it out here

aarondavis

Good suggestion on the boost, but that unfortunatly won't work for my purposes.  I usually use two different gain boxes live.  80% of the time it's the Lovepedal Eternity, which has pleanty of output.  I usually have a distortion pedal to kick on for higher gain stuff the other 20% of the time.  I either use a BJF Dyna Red or a Keeley RAT.  Both work great (actually incredibly), but sometimes I long for a little bit more of a modern sound which the Tonebone offers.  But utiizing the Tonebone with the Eternity in it's current form, it just doesn't compete. 

Once Brian at indyguitarist.com suggested some sort of fet boost at the end of the signal, but I'm not sure how to do this...  (maybe kinda like inserting a Zvex SHO at the end of the circut)

wampcat1

Schem:
http://www.indyguitarist.com/schematics/toneboneclassic.pdf (thanks to dirk hendrik!)

* changing the volume pot to a 500k will give a bit of a volume boost.

Unfortunately, the schematic does not show part numbers, but if you follow the volume pot back to the previous opamp you will see a 47k on pins one and two. You may be able to get some volume out of raising this resistor to a 100k or higher. HOWEVER, it may affect the tonality as well so keep that in mind.

Hope that helps! :)

bw

JHS

Changing the Vol-pot will not cure the problem, a higher value will give less bass and more highs but not more output.
Hence the Vol-pot is connected to the tone filter circuit, modding the values on the IC for more output will change the corner frequency of the filter too. IMHO a linear boost after the FX is the best way to hit the amp harder.

JHS

afrogoose

Well, I changed the clipping diodes to LED's in my Tonebone Classic and that got a little more volume.  I actually had/have the same complaint.  I use my Tonebone as a lead pedal, so I need it to be significantly louder when I kick it on.  The downside for you might be that after changing to LED's it might sound more similar to the Eternity and you might want two (more) different sounds for variety.