Delay - which project?

Started by Arfman, September 20, 2007, 02:15:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rackham

That answers that one then ;)

I was more curious than anything else, I've used Max/MSP for wacky effects creation up until now. Only just starting working in the 'real' world with hardware stuff, so I guess that delay is definitely not a tree worth barking up when it's so easy to achieve on my laptop.

Now, what about time-stretching... :)?

boogietube

There's this variation of Scott Swartz's  PT-80 from Dean Hazelwanter.
The PT-80 is good to about 300ms, while the SHecho does  about 800ms.
Parts are available from Small Bear and Futurlec. (read about Futurlec on this site before ordering from them)

http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=120&Itemid=26
Pedals Built- Morley ABC Box, Fultone A/B Box, DIY Stompboxes True Bypass box, GGG Drop in Wah, AMZ Mosfet Boost, ROG Flipster, ROG Tonemender, Tonepad Big Muff Pi.
On the bench:  Rebote 2.5,  Dr Boogie, TS808

Dean Hazelwanter

Boogietube is right. It's nice delay, mostly because it's Scott's great design (including companding) with a longer delay chip gene-spliced in.

Anyone else tried it?

geertjacobs

Concerning delays, Mark Hammer is definitely right on the cost effectivity (is that a good word in english?) of commercially available delay pedals.

If you want diy, I can say the PT-80 is really nice.
Also the new Echo Base project seems VERY interesting and versatile. Look HERE.

sshrugg

Quote from: Mark Hammer on September 21, 2007, 03:12:16 PM
the ideal delay is supposed to be "invisible" (i.e., the tone is personality-free)

I'm not arguing this fact, but I'd like to say I love the lo-fi delay effect.  This is actually becoming sought after by some people, creating a market for "analog sim" delays like what's found in the Line 6 modeler.  They include emulations of a few things, but some of my favorites are those delays with the really lo-fidelity, muffled, kind of cut up repeat.  It's definately not "personality-free", but I love it.

Like Fransisco said, different pedals regaurdless of what they are, have different creative virtues.  I love my Line 6 and Boss DD-6 for their superlong delays, with ultra-crisp colorless tone.  But if you give me a junky little delay pedal, I'll have just as much fun  :icon_biggrin:
Built: Fuzz Face, Big Muff Pi (Stock), Distortion + (Germanium and Silicon versions)

Arfman

Quote from: sshrugg on September 24, 2007, 12:53:53 PM
Quote from: Mark Hammer on September 21, 2007, 03:12:16 PM
the ideal delay is supposed to be "invisible" (i.e., the tone is personality-free)

I'm not arguing this fact, but I'd like to say I love the lo-fi delay effect.  This is actually becoming sought after by some people, creating a market for "analog sim" delays like what's found in the Line 6 modeler.  They include emulations of a few things, but some of my favorites are those delays with the really lo-fidelity, muffled, kind of cut up repeat.  It's definately not "personality-free", but I love it.

Like Fransisco said, different pedals regaurdless of what they are, have different creative virtues.  I love my Line 6 and Boss DD-6 for their superlong delays, with ultra-crisp colorless tone.  But if you give me a junky little delay pedal, I'll have just as much fun  :icon_biggrin:

Hmmm...and what was that high quality delay at the end of Van Halen's eruption? Oh yeah, it was that cheap little tape echo that used a small cassette...

Mark Hammer

Note that when I say "ideal", I mean the basic design goal that one aims for as a default tone that can be applied with expectations of success to a variety of sound sources.  "Ideal" in the same way that most 7, 10, and 12-band equalizers will tend to have the exact same frequency-band divisions as any other equalizer with the same number of bands.  Here, "ideal" should be treated separately from "best", which would be some tonal goal related to a specific application.

If a delay unit is aimed for a price-point where multiple "personalities" and lots of control is expected, then it will go beyond the "ideal".  If it is a humble 3-knobber (Time, Blend, Feedback), regardless of build quality, it will aim for as as personality-free a tone as it can so that the greatest number of potential users/buyers can find a use for it.  I haven't had cause to use it much recently, but FWIW I almost never move the switch on my L6 Echo Park (which aims to NOT be a simple 3-knobber) away from the "tape" setting.  At the same time, I imagine there are plenty of EP owners who almost never use that mode.

sshrugg

Right on, Mark.  I figured that's how you meant it.  I just wanted to shout out for the not "ideal" but pretty awesome delays.   :icon_smile:

I need to see how that echo park compares to the modeler I've got.  It's some of the same sounds in a smaller box, right?  I could go for that.
Built: Fuzz Face, Big Muff Pi (Stock), Distortion + (Germanium and Silicon versions)

Mark Hammer

The EP manages to pack a surprising amount of the modeller into a smaller package.  If you're into tap tempo, you may find the single dual-function switch a bit of an annoyance, compared to the separate switches on the full modeller pedal.

Note that Behringer is supposed to have released a clone of the EP at this point: http://www.behringer.com/EM600/index.cfm?lang=eng
Assuming you find the complement of control/s suitable, relative to the Modeller, the Behringer unit may be a pretty cost-effective substitute.  Obviously, the plastic chassis will weigh a tiny fraction of what the Line 6 "tanks" do, which may or may not be a selling point.  The new EHX Stereo Memory Man appears to have some delightfully different features, although a somewhat higher price tag.  What you buy will depend on what sorts of performance properties are of greatest use to you....and how deep your pockets are.  Some folks, of course, have pretty much all their needs addressed by a conventional 400msec 3-knobber.  No shame in that.

sshrugg

Quote from: Mark Hammer on September 25, 2007, 04:27:36 PM
If you're into tap tempo, you may find the single dual-function switch a bit of an annoyance, compared to the separate switches on the full modeller pedal.

Amen!  I still struggle controlling my Boss DD-6.

Thanks for the info!