Which transfer method is dummy proof?

Started by Serge, September 23, 2007, 09:26:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Serge

I think I have read about everything there is to read on this topic.  I'm getting pretty good results with laser printer picture paper when making pcb's (although I nearly always need to touch up), but when I try to transfer to an enclosure (I'd like to etch one...) it always goes wrong.  I tried using magazine paper, inkjet picture paper,... with even worse results.  My enclosure has been sanded really thoroughly (I've spent several sheets on wetsanding) and cleaned with nafta.  I  iron for quite a long time at the hottest setting (the paper even turns brown), but still...  I never get good results.

Which transfer method is according to you dummy proof?

R.G.

There is no dummy proof method.

I don't etch enclosures, but I can tell you from long experience with toner transfer that it works reliably if you get all the substrate hot enough to receive the melted toner. The cleanness stuff it primarily so it will etch properly. Changing to a different toner paper simply will not help if the toner can't stick to the substrate.

I would guess that getting the enclosure up to temperature first before the toner even touches it is a good first step. There is probably a "just right" temperature where you don't need an iron, just a roller to press the paper on.

But then I'm guessing.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

$uperpuma

"cleaned with nafta" :)

Yep, no dummy proof method, it just takes practice.

I have found that a surface thats TOO smooth doesn't take the transfer very well either. This could be 100% user error, I've just run into it a couple times.  my best results have come from 400-600 grit dry sanding. RG is right on about even heat. The PnP Blue paper resists heat a little better than inkjet paper so it doesn't crisp or brown.  For Photopaper transfer you might get better results doing what RG says and heating the box to transfer temp before applying the transfer. Also, make sure your naptha or acetone is completely dry before you apply.

I just did this one and I think I only sanded to 400 grit.

Breadboards are as invaluable as underwear - and also need changed... -R.G.

oldrocker

Nice etch job Nate.  Is that a Big Muff? 
Where did you get the graphic?  Is there somewhere to get graphics for etching?

BubbaKahuna

Keep in mind that when ironing on a cast aluminum enclosure that the surface is not anywhere near as flat as your iron. On every enclosure I've ever seen, the edges are higher than the center and the lowerst part is actually right next to the edge. Sanding all day won't fix this unless you do it on a flat surface.

I use double sided tape to stick a piece of 400 on my bench (it's formica so I know it's dead flat), then rub the enclosure upside down on the paper until I don't see any un-sanded parts. I never use anything finer than 400 on anything I do until the etch itself is done - then you can polish it like a mirror if you like. Like $uperpuma said, too smooth and toner can't hang on. That rule applies to any finish you put on top of metal including paint, primer & clearcoat.

Sanding the top flat like this takes a while and would go a lot faster with a stationary belt or disc sander, but I have to do it by hand for now. Then when I transfer the toner, it goes really fast and works great because I now get 100% contact between the iron and the enclosure (with the toner paper in-between of course). I also let the iron sit right on the enclosure to pre-heat it as the irn is getting hot and use welding gloves to handle it so I don't fry my fingers.

I've had great results doing this as transfering graphics directly, and for transfers for etching.

Cheers,
- JJ

My Momma always said, "Stultus est sicut stultus facit".
She was funny like that.

$uperpuma

Quote from: oldrocker on September 23, 2007, 10:49:20 AM
Nice etch job Nate.  Is that a Big Muff? 
Where did you get the graphic?  Is there somewhere to get graphics for etching?
thanks. the guy I was doing it for provided the picture. Ram's Head :)  He is doing the drilling and assembly, but he wanted a nice box. Hope he likes it :)  As far as preparing art, basically if it looks good as a one color screened t-shirt, it will look right on a pedal.
Breadboards are as invaluable as underwear - and also need changed... -R.G.

Serge

Thanks for the suggestions guys.  I'll give them a try and see how it turns out...
That ram's head does look great!