help... problem w/ 2n5089s....

Started by deathbringer07, September 23, 2007, 08:26:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deathbringer07

waaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!! i can't seem to find a 2n5089 tranny here in the philippines!! anyone there who can send me one? or can u guys tell me a substitute w/c is easier to find for the 2n5089? i searched for it in raon (a street here in the philippines in w/c both sides are filled w/ electronic stuff) and not even one of those shops has it...

GibsonGM

Try a 2N5088 (very commonly available)  or similar.  Don't know what circuit you are building, but the 5089 is really just a quieter version of the 5088.....
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

Paul Marossy

Quotethe 5089 is really just a quieter version of the 5088.....

With considerably higher Hfe's also.  :icon_wink:

I've measured some of mine, well over 600.

deathbringer07

sorry.. i forgot to mention.. i'm building an obsidian T using the 2n5089 trannies... and another problem is the shops... i don't know if u can still call them electronic shops but some resistors aren't available for the obsidian.. so i thought of an idea.. connect resistors in series and their values add up, right? so if i connect 2 pcs 470k resistors and 3 pcs 10k resistors their value will add up to 1m ohms right?

frokost

Correct. The two 470k's will probably suffice. Save yourself the hassle with the three 10k resistors. It will most probably work as intended even if you're 60k short of 1M.

deathbringer07

@frokost
u sure?

and is there any other substitutes besides the bc549s nd 550s? from what i've read they don't sound as good as the 5089s...

Paul Marossy

You really want a transistor with an Hfe of around 550-600 to get the intended Obsidian sound.

km-r

mr deathbringer07,

check out www.epektos.com  ;D

hehehe...
Look at it this way- everyone rags on air guitar here because everyone can play guitar.  If we were on a lawn mower forum, air guitar would be okay and they would ridicule air mowing.

frokost

Quote from: deathbringer07 on September 23, 2007, 06:38:37 PM
@frokost
u sure?

pretty much. I can't find the schematic for the Obsidian T anywhere, but if it's the one for the BMP tone section, it shouldn't matter that much. Download the duncan tone stack calculator, enter the correct values and then you can see how the frequency response changes if that particular resistor is 1M or 940K. My guess is that you won't be able to see any significant difference.

But get yourself a lot of 1Ms anyway, they are useful  :).

deathbringer07

it's not for the tone section.. is it ok if i post the schem here?

@km-r
i've been to that site, but they don't deliver and i live here in laguna...

arawn

pm me with your address and i can send you some 5089's and some 1 meg resistors
"Consistency is the Hobgoblin of Small Minds!"

Gus Smalley clean boost, Whisker biscuit, Professor Tweed, Ruby w/bassman Mods, Dan Armstrong Orange Squeezer, Zvex SHO, ROG Mayqueen, Fetzer Valve, ROG UNO, LPB1, Blue Magic

km-r

Quote from: deathbringer07 on September 24, 2007, 06:24:35 PM
@km-r
i've been to that site, but they don't deliver and i live here in laguna...

thats sad... i thought they have LBC as courier which "should" ship anywhere nationwide...

^ there's your saviour...
Look at it this way- everyone rags on air guitar here because everyone can play guitar.  If we were on a lawn mower forum, air guitar would be okay and they would ridicule air mowing.

deathbringer07

i visited the site, nd it said that u pay at pick-up... i didn't see any delivery links there...

deathbringer07

yeah they do... but i can't deposit on banks yet(i'm 15) and i don't have paypal.. they don't accept COD.. how am i supposed to pay for international shipments?

96ecss

Quote from: deathbringer07 on September 25, 2007, 08:17:58 AM
yeah they do... but i can't deposit on banks yet(i'm 15) and i don't have paypal.. they don't accept COD.. how am i supposed to pay for international shipments?

I don't know how you can pay for international shipments. I would try emailing Steve at Small Bear, maybe you can work something out with him. He's a very reasonable guy.

Dave