The Vanishing Baby

Started by MarcoMike, September 24, 2007, 08:55:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarcoMike

First of all, the title explained: is it possible to mdulate a wah by the Vanishing Point?

Ok, here it is... Yesterday I found out that you can actually make a crybaby work by connecting avariable resistor to lug 2(wiper) and 3(ground) (or 1 and 3, it gives more or less the same result) of the hot-pot of a crybaby, while the treadle is full-back (bassy sound)

ok, if it is not so clear, here is a schem:

it seems 5k is the right one to get a full sweep, if the treadle is kept on its back position. the number of lugs required is now only 2 so that Andrews' Vanishing point is suitable to operate as an external variable (varying) resistor. will a vtl5c3 be able to work nicely in the 0-5k region?

I posted this before testing it, because at present I don't have any 4017 and I should be writing my thesis instead of DIYing...

anyway.... any comment is appreciated. will it work?
Only those who attempt the absurd will achieve the impossible.

~arph

Yes it will work, depending how low the output resistance of the optocoupler can go.. (check the specs, they hardly ever go to 0 ohms). Probably the max resistance will be higher than 5k, but this can easily be limited with a 10k parallel over the optocoupler's output, or by making sure the input level of the optocoupler doesn't drop below a certain value so the output resistance doesn't get higher than 5k.

Michael Allen

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=27090.20
http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=28396.0

I made one with a Morely power wah. You use the sequencer to change the LED brightness which you couple to a photoresistor that controls the wah frequency. Works incredibly well.

Search around for it, because it's been discussed many times here.

MarcoMike

Well, this is a great idea! I'm gonna try it on my ProPhaser.... and you don't even need the optocoupler, you can just put 8 LEDs together inside the Morley pointing at the photoresistors!

thank you Michael

~arph

eight diodes and one LED might fit better  :icon_idea:

MarcoMike

::) mh...  :-\

true, I should better have a coffee now, and try to wake up!

sshrugg

Oooh.  This looks really neat.
Built: Fuzz Face, Big Muff Pi (Stock), Distortion + (Germanium and Silicon versions)

DWBH

sshrugg

Oh.  Yeah.  I see no pictures either.  I was referring to the project ideas in those links.
Built: Fuzz Face, Big Muff Pi (Stock), Distortion + (Germanium and Silicon versions)

MarcoMike

Well, it was only a GCB95 circuit with an external 5K variable resistor connecting from wiper to ground of the hot pot