A handy "tip" for drilling your stompbox enclosure....

Started by Dragonfly, September 25, 2007, 02:57:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dragonfly

Sometimes I either order a powdercoated enclosure or paint an enclosure and need to drill it afterwards. This can present a problem because the jaws of the clamp can mar / mess up the finish, and that's not good. Over the years I've done various things to protect the finish, but the solution I finally ended up with has worked out quite well....

I want to the local craft store (Hobby Lobby, Michaels, etc) and got some sticky-backed sheet foam. Its about $0.80 a sheet, and one sheet will last a long, long time. I cut strips from the sheet that match the size of the clamps "jaws", and after cleaning the jaws surface thoroughly, stick the foam to each surface. To ensure that the foam is adhered well, I just crank the clamp closed to put even pressure on both sheets of foam. Now the only thing that touches the stompbox' surface is the foam, so I have to worry a LOT less about marring the finish. After a while when the foam starts wearing out, just peel it off and attach another couple strips. Alternately, weatherstripping should work, but I prefer the foam as its thin and that makes it easy to secure the enclosure properly.

;)

jlullo

that's a fantastic idea... i'll have to give it a shot!  thanks ac!

i normally use painter's tape, but this would leave wayyyy less room for marring!

skiraly017

Just make sure the foam is clean before clamping. Metal shavings will probably love to embed themselves in the foam.
"Why do things that happen to stupid people keep happening to me?" - Homer Simpson

moro

I use the little Irwin clamps, which have nice rubber pads. I also put a paper towel between the enclosure and the pad, just in case, and it seems to work fine.

http://www.irwin.com/irwin/consumer/jhtml/browse.jhtml?catId=IrwinCat100026

I just use a hand drill though. I don't know if these things are too wussy for those of you with more powerful tools. And Dragonfly's solution is better if you already have a nice collection of metal clams, obviously.

foxfire

i just got done drilling a box. it was unpainted but, i end up doing 90% of my drilling holding the box in my hand over a trash can in my office/spare room at home cause thats where i do all my pedals. the funny thing is i have a 2,500 sq.ft. shop with vises and drill presses. if i used a vise i'd definitely use your tip.

Dragonfly

Quote from: foxfire on September 25, 2007, 09:31:26 PM
i just got done drilling a box. it was unpainted but, i end up doing 90% of my drilling holding the box in my hand...

as someone who has done that before and either...

A) had the box go spinning around with the drill bit and whack my hand (or other parts of my body)....

or...

B) had the enclosure spin out, fly off, and the drill bit hit my hand....

I wouldn't recommend it.

Go to Harbor Freight (or wherever) and spend $8 or $10 on a good vise.....

The scars aren't worth it... (till you've had the fun of a hole saw tearing your leg, its hard to understand...you'll just have to trust me.)

PS...a good vice helps make your drilling more accurate.

foxfire

but that takes all the fun out of the "is my hand out of the way or am i about to drill it?" game.

Shepherd

twangquack

Dragonfly is right, of course, about the proper way to do this ... (vise, etc.) ... but even with a vise I very often get lazy and go to the ol' 40-year old hand drill that was my Dad's -- it's deliciously old-school. I've used power drills but love the hand drill. Just prop the box between my knees, after making a nice starter hole (or, more properly, divit) ... then crank away, as variable a speed as one needs. When the bit starts to catch -- has gone through, but the hole may not yet be full diameter of the bit -- I'll sometimes just yank it out, then grab a reamer (was it a guitar peghole reamer at one time? It's so much fun to use tools for other than their intended purpose, especially if you eventually break them). The reamer is fantastic for slowly enlarging holes for footswitches (so you don't suddenly go "WHOOPS" and have a way-too-big hole) and I know it'll grow dull one of these days, but right now it works SWEET.

nebucanazza

I am just about to drill my first box. I have some nice powdercoated PPP enclosures and a power drill. I also bought some masking tape to avoid marring the finish. Will this be enough? I was kind of hoping that holding down the box on the floor and drilling should suffice:) Looks like I am better off investing in a vice.

BTW are hand drills usable for metal drilling? I was under the impression that it could only penetrate wood.

twangquack

Quote from: nebucanazza on September 26, 2007, 09:48:53 AM
BTW are hand drills usable for metal drilling? I was under the impression that it could only penetrate wood.

Yep, they work. I suppose the gearing is key but mine turns pretty fast when I get to really cranking it. Aluminum: just fine ... Steel? Um, probably not. But the tape and vise is probably the prudent way to go for you to go -- try it just like Dragonfly said.