Im about to build a Big Muff..

Started by bonkdav, September 26, 2007, 01:55:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bonkdav

I want to build a big muff but i cant decide which version to build, ggg has a bunch of versions but i cant decide which one, also i want to put some mods in but all i can find are mods that are just described as sounding good and this

basically i am asking for anyone to give me some input on what the different versions sound like and which ones they recommend and why and which ones i should stear clear of and the reasons that its recommended to stear clear. same for the mods.

please dont simply say "i think the triangle version is the best" i need to know why for my sake and every one elses so no arguments start because the reasons are what is needed here because one mans trash may be another mans treasure, (you get what im saying i hope).

thanks a ton

jlullo

The stock is a bit "raunchier" and bassier, the triangle everyone likes because it's a bit smoother and less bassy... i'm not sure about the other versions!

I built the triangle version because of everyone's advice, and i'm EXTREMELY happy with it.  So happy, that I plan on eventually building a stock version just for the heck of it!

aron

The truth is that every one you make will probably sound different so you might as well pick one version and modify it to fit your equipment.

jlullo

very true... especially if you use all ceramic caps  :icon_twisted:

bean

Here's a little page I made about the version I built. I created this for someone who was interested in having me build one for him but it never panned out.

Bean's Muff 'The Minus One'

Gila_Crisis

you can try the opamp one! all the people who built it had spoke well about it.

if you want i've done a veroboard layout too. just look here:
http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=61409.0

petemoore

Start with large value, longleg emitter resistors, that way you can reduce the emitter R values by paralleling resistors right to the emitter resistors. Bigger emitter resistor values reduce gain, so you'll have a gain control that is 'easy' to adjust, easy like...allows EZ gain change options and won't mess the board traces up.
  Caps can be a bit trickier to tack to back of other caps, but sometimes it can be done.
  For caps I've put 2 where 1 was, facing [each having one leg up],  two series caps then have their up^ pointing leads joined, but on one of them I put a little wire at the board side, simply wrapping this wire to the caps connection jumpers the 1 cap, leaving the 'default' value, try to pick default value [stock..a little smaller...then the other seriesed value can reduce treble, changing it back is easy...dewrap the wire, then when you figure out what goes there, solder the wire on or off [tinning it to make it rigid].
  Making mods possible like this..above board mods..you don't tend to muck up the PCB traces, lose signal path or PS or whatever, basically makes for non-invasive quick modding, and can be made switch-like enough so that you can simply push the wire very lightly with 1  finger to make/break the mod connection, >remember what it just sounded like<, very good for instant comparitive modding.
  Costs a few extra buxx in capacitors, makes it a heluvaloteasier to tell 'what's what 'here when the other whats are `here and *there.
  Take notes? notepad with mod component values across the top, tone categories down the right column, fill in the boxes...see if you like treble shaved more toward input or output, I like my bass shaved a bit more toward input generally.
  Likely you'll find two parameters not available with the 3 knobs which are must haves, put a switch on that one.
  Modding it so...with your amp set 'so [you probably have preferred amp settings], so with one switch you get optimum Muff sound for those amp settings...one tack to take...
  the other would be adjust everything including the amp/guitar/etc. you might want to try this, then get both or something in between.
  Overcomplicated...you'll probably want to get the gain set where, then maybe trim some HF Harshness and/or bass mud out of it, that should do it. If you use SC/HB pickups, input cap/other mod to de-mud, put on a switch..
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

ambulancevoice

the green russian aparently is much doomier and dark (which is why im building it... eventually), and i guess its kinda in-between the triangle and nyc versions

there are some mods here too
http://www.student.ru.nl/r.kerkhof/Taas/Mods/Big%20Muff.htm

and here is a page about the different types or big muffs (plus there schematics)
http://www.pisotones.com/BigMuffPi/psst/BMP_versions.htm
Open Your Mouth, Heres Your Money

Bernardduur

Sorry; my page is down. Server problems :)

I recommend the Ramshead; more open sounding..... More clear!
Am learning something new every day here

SquareLight | MySpace account

Gila_Crisis

bonkdav

Thanks a lot guys, i think gonna go with basically the triangle version but socket a bunch of components and tweak it to taste, im also planning on modding the tonestack and maybe even putting the clipping diodes of the second stage or even both stages on a rotary switch to get as many flavors as possible, im also researching more mods and component subs that will better suit my liking.

please keep the info coming, im still very open to suggestions, all of these posts have been very helpful so far.

does anybody know why the ramshead is more clear? could be a good switchable  section if figured out, i have 4pdts which are nice for things like that. (im also building a ts808 that has the keely mod explained at ggg on one of those that can switch from stock to modded.)

i may have to get that pdf...

is it worth socketing the trannies? if not can anyone recommend 2n3904s or higher gain 2n5089s because i have both.

thanks again.

Bernardduur

My server will be up any day now

Sorry for the inconvenience :)
Am learning something new every day here

SquareLight | MySpace account

jmasciswannabe

....the staircase had one too many steps

chombo

i made a thread a few days ago about mods, and i just socketed the transisters, and i must say that i am way more pleased in the 2n5089's over 5088's.  it is way less noisy.  i recomend you socket it just so you can experiment with different ones

oldrocker

I've built a stock version and it sounds like everyone has already stated.  The op amp version I built is my favorite.  I made some mods to it and it sounds like an overdrive and not as much fuzz.
I didn't use the 4.7uF or the 47k off of pin 1 on ICa.  I used a 33k instead of the 8.2K which cut down on the oscillation and squealing.
http://www.logmonster.com/images/full/?pic=opampbm_1176959853-422-14999.jpg