testing a circuit

Started by chombo, September 27, 2007, 01:26:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chombo

hi just a few easy questions (hopefully), im trying to build a bee bea but am running into a few problems.  when testing with an audio probe, im getting a gated sound which cuts in and out (maybe around 3 times a second).  sometimes but very rarely it plays normally but when it does its really short, then goes back to sounding gated.  is there a known reason for this?  it even did it when i started at the very beginning of the circuit at the input jack.

now following the signal path (while listening to the [gated] sound) i think i found the culprit, well 2 actually, a cap, which i actually bought on a whim from a lame electronics store and suspect it is a used cap, and a resister.  no sound comes after these parts from the mp3 player, however when i check the voltage on the transistors, some of them are the correct voltages and some are a bit low but nothing is to extreme that i would think something is majorly wrong.  is this wierd or am i just dumb and doing something really wrong.  essentially does a blown component not necessarily mean completely wrong voltages?  or does there have to be a voltage of 0 because no signal is getting to it due to a blown cap or resistor?

ok, sorry, last question.  on the beebea layout found here http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/diagrams/geo_baa-baa.pdf?phpMyAdmin=4a28f86a515b7883e7bc35a68d4e7b6d if i dont hook up the millenium bypass controll line to the footswitch should i connect something else?  or is it ok if i leave nothing there?
everything else i followed to a T, and as far as i know there arent any shorts or bridges, and i can post voltages if required.
thanks, in advance for help, hopefully ill be helping people in the near future!!

-steve

chombo

ok well i figured out the problem with the probe, my mp3 player volume was too high, when i lowered it, it sounded normal.  any know about the other questions tho?

slacker

If you're not using the millenium bypass it's fine to just leave the footswitch lug free. Not sure about you're other problems, it's probably a good idea to post your voltages.