TransFet distortion

Started by mac, September 27, 2007, 12:50:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mac

Based on this post I breadboarded the below circuit:

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=60345.0

It is a prototype. Help and ideas welcome.

mac
mac@mac-pc:~$ sudo apt-get install ECC83 EL84

burnt fingers

I don't think you need the JFET's in the second or third stages.  They are acting as buffers and I'm not sure what the benefit would be in the middle of the circiut.

Have you built it yet? 

Scott
Rock and Roll does not take a vacation!!

www.rockguitarlife.com
My Music

ambulancevoice

Quote from: burnt fingers on September 28, 2007, 12:44:29 AM
I don't think you need the JFET's in the second or third stages.  They are acting as buffers and I'm not sure what the benefit would be in the middle of the circiut.

Have you built it yet? 

Scott

maybe there for more tone or drive?
Open Your Mouth, Heres Your Money

ambulancevoice

Open Your Mouth, Heres Your Money

GuitarLord5000

Quote from: burnt fingers on September 28, 2007, 12:44:29 AM

Have you built it yet? 

Scott

I believe that the original article explains this:
http://gabevee.tripod.com/sstubepre.html

So, mac.............
How does it sound?
Life is like a box of chocolates.  You give it to your girlfriend and she eats up the best pieces and throws the rest away.

mac

QuoteI don't think you need the JFET's in the second or third stages.  They are acting as buffers and I'm not sure what the benefit would be in the middle of the circiut.

Have you built it yet? 

Quotemaybe there for more tone or drive?

Well, the original article says that the pair acts like a "single" tubey device. Three stages producing tube-like harmonics was my approach.
The thing is on the breadboard, I have to experiment a little more. The results are promising.

Quoteare there 6.8k rheostats?

The 6.8k set Vc at near 4.5v with my fets. But with another fets the resistors may be different. While in the breadboard, one can experiment with fixed resistors to set the appropiate voltage at the collector. But when building, a trimmer is the way to go, unless a std resistor gives 4.5v or so.

Talking about voltages, I'm going to try 6-7v at the collectors. Also replacing the 470 with diodes. Since diodes have a lower resistance, maybe 100,  it will boost the gain.
Also, the big muff tone stack at the end, and a resistor or diode between the fet and the transistor.

As you can expect it has a lot of gain, too much for my taste. I prefer it at mid levels.
I'm going to experiment and try to find my mic to record some clip instead of trying to describe the sound ???

mac

mac

Yesterday I set the voltages to 6.7 at the collectors, and replaced the emiter resistor R10 in the second stage with a Ge diode.
The diode has a lower resistance, maybe 100R, so there is more gain. And the 6.7v changes the clipping pattern. It's an overdrive tending to distortion. Crispy sound, maybe the high Z of all stages, and touch sensitive. At max gain, I picked softer and got almost clean notes.
I wonder how Ge transistors may sound...  :icon_cool:
I'll try some more and record a clip of the best setting.

mac

mac

Sound clip at:
http://guitarfxs.tripod.com/index.html
Transistors voltages at 6.6V or so. Drive at 75%.

mac

snoof