trim pot -> normal pot questoin

Started by s.r.v., October 02, 2007, 11:18:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

s.r.v.

So i would like to build this: http://www.runoffgroove.com/multiface.html
but i do not have any trim pots. I do, however, have a 10kB pot. How do I wire this into the circuit in place of the trimpot? thanks! sorry if it is a stupid question, I'm new at this  :icon_redface:

CGDARK

s.r.v.

Mark Hammer

Just note that very often trimpots are used where only a portion of the range is really of use.  Sometimes what is out of that range can prevent proper functioning.  That's why there are some things you put on the chassis where they can be used, and even bumped off their current setting, and some things you put on the board inside where they won't be accidentally moved from where they are currently set.

Incfidentally, it is often possible to use combinations of trimpots and fixed resistors to substitute for trimpots of other values.  For instance, if the circuit calls for a 10k and all you have is a 5k, you can simply stick a 2.2k on one end and a 2.7k on the other, or some other combination that provides some reasonable coverage of the what would be the middle of a 10k trimpot's range.

jdavyd

the image doesn't appear to be showing anymore, can you post it again?

slacker

If you look at the original layout to replace the trim with a normal pot first remove the trim pot. Then connect the pot that you want to replace it like this.
Lugs 2 and 3 to the wire going to GAIN pot lugs 3&2
Lug 1 to ground.
Or connect Lugs 2 and 3 to the top trim pot connection, the black dot just above where it says "10k trim", connect lug 1 to the bottom trim pot connection.