Buildreport; Ruby with tonecontrol

Started by Krinor, October 04, 2007, 12:18:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Krinor

Well actually a treble rolloff control...
After having built a regular Ruby, a Fetzer Ruby and a Bassman mod. Ruby I decided to try my hand at one with a tonecontrol.
I used the one found in the Noisy Cricket schematic available at the Beavis Audio Research site. Check it out yourself at:
http://www.beavisaudio.com/

Here's my amp:

And a closeup:

I really love these knobs. Thery're from Smallbear and cost a little more than the average, but they're well worth it IMO.
For all you gut lovers, here are the insides:

I put everything except the resistors on sockets so that I can play around with different  value caps etc.

Here's a closeup of the insides, this is my cleanest job to date.  :icon_rolleyes::

The pots are from left to right: Volume, Gain, Tone.You can see how the tonecontrol connects to the volume control and on through the 0.1 uF cap. and to ground also through a 0.1 uF cap. I find that this gives a mellow treble rolloff which is barely audible when the amp is driven clean. But when I use a distortion unit in front the tone control produces a bit more effect. This is a very simple device. If anyone has some good suggestions (other part values ?), please comment. Thanks for browsing.

Did I forget to say that I polished the enclosure ?  :icon_wink:

pseen

Krinor

Sure! If I only knew where to upload a soundclip.  :icon_redface:

Steben

Quote from: Krinor on October 04, 2007, 12:57:08 PM
Sure! If I only knew where to upload a soundclip.  :icon_redface:

Gallery?
You can always send it to anyone here for posting.
  • SUPPORTER
Rules apply only for those who are not allowed to break them

Alex C

Very clean, inside and out.  Thanks for the gut shots too!  Very nice work.

-Alex

bancika

looks very clean, but one concern: using pin sockets for caps like that is great for prototyping but it might be a problem later. I mean, you'll probably be fine, nobody's gonna stomp on it or something, just it's not as sturdy as soldered component...
The new version of DIY Layout Creator is out, check it out here

Krinor

Quote from: bancika on October 04, 2007, 04:07:26 PM
looks very clean, but one concern: using pin sockets for caps like that is great for prototyping but it might be a problem later. I mean, you'll probably be fine, nobody's gonna stomp on it or something, just it's not as sturdy as soldered component...

I know  :icon_wink: My Ruby's sit on their own little shelf. Noone messes with them.
I figured I would need this one to be like a little Ruby laboratory where I could easily experiment with it to see what other tricks it might play. Mods for this little amp are not abundant. Maybe I come up with something interesting in my utter noobness?  :icon_lol:

aron

Krinor

ambulancevoice

great job!!!
why did you socket the power filter cap???
Open Your Mouth, Heres Your Money

Krinor

Quote from: ambulancevoice on October 04, 2007, 07:25:19 PM
great job!!!
why did you socket the power filter cap???

Ha,ha I really don't know! Somehow I was just so obsessed with the idea of putting in sockets for everything.  :icon_redface:
At first I thought I'd put the input and output caps on sockets since playing around with them is what really makes a difference - but along the way I thought (or maybe rather didn't think at all) -what the heck, and socketed everything.  :icon_rolleyes:

brett

Hi
very nice build.  futuristic

While it is a cool design in most respects, IMO the 0.1uF cap leading to the 10k volume pot is too small.  It causes a substantial loss of bass. A minimum of 0.22uF is advisable, and 0.47uF or 1uF is better.

A useful rule of thumb is that capacitance (in uF) x resistance (in kohms) must be more than 2, should be 5, and for bass guitar etc should be 10.  These give fc of about 90 Hz, 40 Hz and 16 Hz, respectively.  The low E on a guitar is about 80 Hz, so you can see that R x C of 5 is about right.
cheers
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)

greigoroth

That is the sweetest amp Kristian! The design is just so... clean!

I want one! - just have to learn to solder first...
Built: GGG Green Ringer

Krinor

Thanks for the input Brett. This is my first experiment with a tone control, so you'll have to excuse my relative ignorance. I will try those values in a few days. Right now I'm posting from my mobile, writing with my left hand since I have had surgery done on my right shoulder today. No guitar playing for me the next couple of weeks... Again, thanks for the remarks. Any further thoughts ?

Krinor

I recently changed the capacitors on the tonecontrol on this one. Thanks to Brett for his thoughtfull comments. My tonecontrol now sounds much better. The 100k pot was way too large though. I changed it first to 25k and then to 5k which spreads the treble rolloff nicely over the full rotation of the pot. I just thought I'd share this with other noobs like myself who want to implement a tonecontrol on this amp or on the Little Gem.  :icon_wink: