Rangemaster- Now with Improved Extra Stain Fighting Enzyme Soundclip!

Started by DougH, October 04, 2007, 10:21:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DougH

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you."

foxfire

sounds really good. i also like to see some nice perf. i still haven't made a Range master. i've done 3 byoc pedals and 20 or so perf builds and not one of them a RM, go figure.

ulysses

jlullo

Dragonfly

Sounds great Doug...the RM circuit, like the FF, is able to really be tweaked a ton and tailored for the rig...

Nice job.

alfafalfa

Doug ,

What exactly is the influence of your amp ?
Did you set it up completely clean for the clip or did you already have some sort of grind ?
I noticed it has a ef86 preamp !

Alf

DougH

Thanks for the kind comments.

QuoteWhat exactly is the influence of your amp ?
Did you set it up completely clean for the clip or did you already have some sort of grind ?

The initial chord sequence is just the amp sound ("Bypass" in the clip notes). It's pretty clean, with the volume at 25%. The grind you're hearing is the Rangemaster driving the amp.

Aron, I apologize for starting another thread. I thought I could edit the subject of the first thread to note that I had added a soundclip, but I couldn't figure out how to do it.

alfafalfa

In that case it sounds terrific.

I always heard that the Rangemaster does best on an already not too clean amp like a AC30 .

The transistor you used , can it be compared with an oc type, I noticed it's black  ?

Alf

foxfire

Quote from: alfafalfa on October 05, 2007, 11:52:50 AM
In that case it sounds terrific.

I always heard that the Rangemaster does best on an already not too clean amp like a AC30 .

The transistor you used , can it be compared with an oc type, I noticed it's black  ?

Alf

here is his schematic, http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=61681.msg484813#new. oh and yes it is compareable to an oc140.

vanhansen

That sounds great, Doug.  I did a NPN version myself, pretty much stock values other than the transistor.   It's based off the schematic that Aron hosts. 

I do have a question though, what's the benefit of the 10M resistor at the output to ground versus a 1M there?
Erik

DougH

QuoteI always heard that the Rangemaster does best on an already not too clean amp like a AC30 .

I thought that way too. Until I built this one. ;)

QuoteThe transistor you used , can it be compared with an oc type, I noticed it's black  ?

I've never used an OC transistor before. It looks like one...

This transistor does have a major influence on the sound. I tried this circuit with an AC128 on the breadboard (flipped inside out for PNP) and the CV7112 sounded much better to my ears.

QuoteI do have a question though, what's the benefit of the 10M resistor at the output to ground versus a 1M there?

I wanted to capture all the mojo in the .7 - 7Hz frequency range.

( ;D)

No seriously, I have no idea. For some quirky reason I just did that. It's more consistent to make both the anti-pop resistors the same size, although I doubt you'll hear a difference either way. Then again "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." -Thoreau

vanhansen

Quote from: DougH on October 05, 2007, 01:55:32 PM

QuoteI do have a question though, what's the benefit of the 10M resistor at the output to ground versus a 1M there?

I wanted to capture all the mojo in the .7 - 7Hz frequency range.

( ;D)

No seriously, I have no idea. For some quirky reason I just did that. It's more consistent to make both the anti-pop resistors the same size, although I doubt you'll hear a difference either way. Then again "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." -Thoreau

:D 

Gotta get every bit of mojo out that ya can, ya know.

I'll accept your answer there.  Was just curious.
Erik

Dragonfly

Quote from: DougH on October 05, 2007, 01:55:32 PM

QuoteThe transistor you used , can it be compared with an oc type, I noticed it's black  ?

I've never used an OC transistor before. It looks like one...

This transistor does have a major influence on the sound. I tried this circuit with an AC128 on the breadboard (flipped inside out for PNP) and the CV7112 sounded much better to my ears.

IIRC, The CV7112 is the military version of the OC140