Substitution for a dual pot (NeoVibe)

Started by BubbaKahuna, October 05, 2007, 04:05:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BubbaKahuna

I see the NeoVibe requires a 100k dual audio pot for the speed control.
Would a 200k dual audio pot work without too much circuit bending?
Reason I ask is that Mouser has 100k duals for about $3, but Electronic Goldmine has 200k dual audio pots for $1.
http://www.goldmine-elec-products.com/prodinfo.asp?number=G5955
I'm already ordering a bunch of stuff from EG, so ordering one thing from Mouser will make that $3 pot about $8.

Cheers,
- JJ

My Momma always said, "Stultus est sicut stultus facit".
She was funny like that.

John Lyons

The 100K pot specification is for taper and resistance. I believe the outcome of the dual and it's wiring is reverse audio
The Neovibe will give you enough trouble as it is, save yourself the headache and get the 100K dual. It'll be work more than $5 of your time. I'm sure you will need something else from smallbear or mouser...

John

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

RedHouse

In a pinch you can always get a 250k dual linear pot (alpha) and add a 330k resistor across each pots outer terminals (separately) and get roughly the right value and taper.

R.G.

On a couple of custom pedals I've used a VT5C2 LED to centertapped  optoisolator. This lets me use a single pot to run both optos. I've posted this before here and other places. It's what I used in my minivibe board. The minivibe was done as "everything I know how to do to a univibe". It's got a JFET buffered input, unity gain mod, switch to add tremolo like the RT-18, stereo output mixers with out of phase wet lines, and so on, in a board that screws right into the screw bosses of a crybaby shell.

It's been a while since I looked at that. I ought to go dust it off. I only ever built a couple for friends. As I remember, I used MPSA13's for the darlingtons, 2N5088's for the preamp section, and either one or two 78L15's for power regulation.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

BubbaKahuna

Wow RG that would be cool!
I even have an old Thomas Crybaby shell just sitting here practicing gravity ... 

Any chance of getting a schematic &/or layout for this? 8)
My Momma always said, "Stultus est sicut stultus facit".
She was funny like that.

R.G.

QuoteAny chance of getting a schematic &/or layout for this?
First I gotta find it.   :)

I think it's on one of the old CDR backup disks. It's been a while.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

boogietube

I hope you find it. I have had a wah shell on hold for a long time to build this. Just couldn't figure out how to do it with a single ganged pot.
I'm salivating
Sean
Pedals Built- Morley ABC Box, Fultone A/B Box, DIY Stompboxes True Bypass box, GGG Drop in Wah, AMZ Mosfet Boost, ROG Flipster, ROG Tonemender, Tonepad Big Muff Pi.
On the bench:  Rebote 2.5,  Dr Boogie, TS808