spring reverb question

Started by wayne1991, October 06, 2007, 08:19:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wayne1991

hi, im doing a circuit on this spring reverb
http://gaussmarkov.net/wordpress/circuits/spring-reverb/

i have already done the pcb then i realised theres a "spring reverb" under the parts list
and there is this metal casing thing behind the circuit in the picture..
what is this part about? is it a reverb tank or something?

fixr1984

Yes that is a reverb tank. Unless you go digital you will need one.

wayne1991

ok..thanks.. any idea around how much that would cost? and any recommendations?  :)

wayne1991

hmm, do u guys think this will work for the circuit?
http://www.smallbearelec.com/Detail.bok?no=510

and btw is the effect supposed to be put at the end of the chain together with the other effect pedals or plugged into the amp?

Aren

wayne1991

cool, thanks
hmm, im still kinda unsure about the input bias and reverb bias things in the layout, can anyone help me clarify?
and are those the points that i use to connect the pcb to the reverb tank? and if yes, how?
dam, this circuit is hard...

wayne1991

jimbeaux

Wayne -

The tank used in your project is a 8AB2A1B  shown in the schematic > http://www.solorb.com/elect/musiccirc/reverb2/

The tank that Small Bear sells is a 4DB2C1D.

You can use the comparison chart at the Accutronics website > http://www.accutronicsreverb.com/prodspec.htm

I don't think they're a match, but I'm a builder not a designer - hopefully someone can chime in with a more definitive answer.

(don't get frustrated - this is a little more complicated than a distortion box or treble booster & definitely a learning process.)

-Jimbeaux

wayne1991

woah thanks, will look that up, thanks
anyway, off topic, im preparing parts for my project and i came across these few parts and was wondering what it is,,

are audio and log tapered pots the same thing?

what can i use for QUAD OA and DUAL OA
cause they only wrote that and never specify

whats n_jfet
         pnp_bjet
         npn_bjt?
         2N3906-  ,what does the "-" stand for?
        1N400x      what does the "x" stand for
        ZD001 ZENER 5V6
        ZD9V2 ZENER 9V2

im kinda doing a multi efx project and i was wondering whether i can connect all the pedals together in the enclosure and how?
what i mean is all the ac go to the same jack, then all the boards are connected together so that i dont need to get input and output jacks

thanks in advance

e178453

Check Antique electronic Supply for good selection of reverb tanks at decent prices.  I have heard you can order direct from Accutronics and get the same tank in different configurations depending on whether you are mounting it rightside up (typical), upside down, or horizontally. This feature is expressed in the part # somehow, look up Accutronics for and explanation.
For some reason, I can't get the schematic for your project to display.
scott

caress

Quote from: wayne1991 on October 07, 2007, 11:36:57 AM
woah thanks, will look that up, thanks
anyway, off topic, im preparing parts for my project and i came across these few parts and was wondering what it is,,

whats n_jfet
         pnp_bjet
         npn_bjt?
        ZD001 ZENER 5V6
        ZD9V2 ZENER 9V2

im kinda doing a multi efx project and i was wondering whether i can connect all the pedals together in the enclosure and how?
what i mean is all the ac go to the same jack, then all the boards are connected together so that i dont need to get input and output jacks

thanks in advance

i'm building this same project right now so i thought i would chime in. 

first off, a lot of the info you seek is pretty basic and is used on many different effects so having a firm grasp of these terms will help you not only in this project, but in many more to come.  especially choosing a difficult build like this...  use the search function, the wiki or google to find out most of the knowledge you seek.  it's there and can be found with little effort...

so......yes audio and log pots are the same.
the opamps are specified in the schematic.  the dual for the clipping indicator portion is an mc1458 (or similar) and the dual for the reverb driver is a ne5532 (or similar).  the logic is a cd4011. there isn't a quad oa in this circuit.  you can leave off the entire clipping indicator portion if you wish to simplify, though...

here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bipolar_junction_transistor#PNP) you can learn more than you probably need to know about transistors!   ;)

and there's plenty of good threads about multi-fx units in the database.  if you search, you'll find way more info than i could possibly dole out right now...

ummm... also, there's no zener diodes in this circuit.  which schematic are you looking at?  use the original (http://www.solorb.com/elect/musiccirc/reverb2/) to keep it simple.

i'll keep in touch about how my project is going as well.  i've completed the circuit, plus i added on an interesting tone control and some feedback control, built a bipolar power supply and am halfway done with my enclosure, which is sort of supposed to look like a telescope-ish kind of wooden box.  the reverb tank fit in perfectly with about 1/16" to spare on each side!   :icon_mrgreen:

i used an accutronics 9AB3A1B/D (i don't remember if i got B or D for the last letter) for loooong reverb and a mouser 42TM011 for the transformer.

wayne1991

lol.. erm, maybe i wasnt clear enough, i was kinda referring to other circuits, the parts there are from other circuits.. :)

jonathan perez

for off topic questions, i suggest starting a new thread. besides that, the Wiki link on top still works, if i recall, and its very helpful to those who are starting out, need refreshing, or simply are curious as to what it is. besides that, i think google will learn you alot, too.  ;)
no longer the battle of midway...(i left that band)...

i hate signatures with gear lists/crap for sale....

i am a wah pervert...ask away...

wayne1991

gee.. thanks, i dont think i want to start a new thread, too lazy and maybe this will be the last qns
anyway the cost for my parts are quite high,
can u guys maybe recommend some brands that are for lower budgets?
maybe like cheaper pots, knobs and "SWITCHES!!!"
man, the switches are a burn in the pocket

btw are there any alternative switches for the dp3t used for the sansamp gt-2 in tonepad?

gaussmarkov

Quote from: jimbeaux on October 07, 2007, 09:54:06 AM
The tank used in your project is a 8AB2A1B  shown in the schematic > http://www.solorb.com/elect/musiccirc/reverb2/

my bad.  i should have put this info into the project.  i will correct that.  cheers, gm :icon_biggrin:

Pushtone

whats n_jfet
         pnp_bjet
         npn_bjt?
        ZD001 ZENER 5V6
        ZD9V2 ZENER 9V2

For these questions I prefer the DIY FAQ written by Aron (I think).

Although the Wiki has some very good info as well, I would start with the DIY FAQ.

The link is at the top of the page right next to the GEO FAQ, which you should read too.

About your budget....
This will be a pricey project unless you can find an old amp with a reverb tank cheap. On CL perhaps?
An alternative would be to buy a Behringer reverb pedal and re-mount it in your enclosure.
A momentary footswitch can be wired in parallel with the onboard tactile switch to toggle it.
The next hardest thing would be mounting it so the PCB mounted pots stick out of your enclosure,
but you could use chassis mount pots, just more work.

Good luck.
It's time to buy a gun. That's what I've been thinking.
Maybe I can afford one, if I do a little less drinking. - Fred Eaglesmith

gaussmarkov

the "-" does not mean anything important.  it's an artifact of the way the CAD software distinguishes between package types.  i should strip that off.  i apologize for any confusion.

1N400x  is short for 1N4001 or 1N4004 or ...  any of those diodes will work.  after you have been building for a while, things like that become familiar.  but it sure is confusing when you are starting out.  again, my oversight.  i will have to be more disciplined about that kind of thing and edit it out.

all the best, gm :icon_biggrin:

wayne1991

woohoo.. thanks, so many replies, i think i know what to do now..
btw,gaussmarkov , its not ur fault that its confusing, i just started playing around with electronics and didnt really know what that meant,
btw, thanks for clearing it up.. :icon_biggrin: