[Tube] My new webpage about subminiature tube amps

Started by jjs, October 08, 2007, 09:04:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jjs

Hi,

I just put online my webpage. It contains some information about two subminiature tube based guitar amps. While I'm not sure if it's ok to post it here I thought they may fall in the same category as LM386 based amps because of their size.

Here are the two amps in question, on the linked page are schematics and building notes. They are not really fleshed out ready to build projects, but may guide the interested in the right direction.

www.jjs.at/electronic/index.html

I wanted to share this with this forum because it was a very valuable source of information when I started to build guitar related effects.

geertjacobs

:icon_eek:

Beautiful!
If they sound as amazing as they look...

zeta55

That's some awsome builds. Congratulates :D

Nice site also.

/Krister
Visit my site: http://www.zeta-sound.se/

brett

Man, they are gorgeous!

And very well layed out, and generous sharing of the technical info.
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)

bancika

The new version of DIY Layout Creator is out, check it out here

drj

They look awesome, very nicely laid out too - great job !

John Lyons

Those look very nice. If you get a chance I'd love to hear a sound clips or two.
I'm curious to hear what they sound like.
Thanks for posting!!

John

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

The Tone God

jakenold

Awesome! Please do continue making those little babies!

A step by step guide would be very cool, as well as some more concrete information regarding the tubes - data, where they can be purchased, etc.

I HAVE checked out the datasheets, but for people lacking the knowledge to interpret such, it would be cool if you'd keep doing that "tutorial"-kind of articles about your creations.

Kind regards, Jake

MetalGuy

Cobgratulations! Very good job! I like the web site as well.

slacker

jjs

Thank you very much for the kind words! I'm glad you like it!  :icon_biggrin:

As for soundclips: I don't know when I will be able to record some. There are two problems, first my playing skills are very, well "basic". Second, the amps are pretty loud despite their size. This is especially true for the class AB one.  I must find a time when I don't disturb my neighbours too much with my cacophony.

I know that in the end all that matters is the sound quality, so I will do my best. It may take a while though.

Actually I considered making complete build guides, maybe next time. I will think about including some information about the tubes on my page.

Acquiring subminiature tubes can be a tough task. I had already got those Phillips JAN 6021 tubes for the class A amp for 2.5 years. Back then I bought them (not cheap) from the USA over Ebay. Recently I got lucky to find two of the 5902 tubes on Ebay Germany. There was also a very good deal on www.military-tubes.com where you could by 250 g of unsorted submini-tubes for under 5 €. From that I got a lot of 5702, 5636, 6021, 6111 and 6112 mostly Sylvania, Raytheon and Telefunken. Unfortunately they seem to have run out of stock quickly and don't offer this anymore.
A good address is probably http://www.askjanfirst.de/eindex.htm. I never delt with them but they have a huge list of every tube imaginable (the page is a bit hard to navigate, try the sitemap).

Btw, I just checked my page statistics and according to them the by far most viewed images are the gut shots. Not that I expected anything else, normally I'm mostly interested in them, too.  :icon_wink:

Papa_lazerous

I like it!  very nano like, I am working on something similar myself although am taking a slightly different approach to the power supply.  Plenty of good ideas there though thanks

zachary vex

As far as making a general knock-off of my nano head amplifier, someone already beat you to it a couple of years ago.

I like the clean look of your amps, and admire your use of the toroidal transformers as external "feet" for your second design, and especially the novel use of a toroidal AC transformer as an audio transformer.

The Tone God

The initial comment made by Zachary Vex is intended as a joke.

This thread should be for comments and technical enquiries on the topic. Lets not turn this into a "who did what first" argument which would take away from jjs achievements and the topic itself.

Thank you.

Andrew

soulsonic

I like the Boost Converter used in the power supply. I think I'll try experimenting with one of those.
Check out my NEW DIY site - http://solgrind.wordpress.com

grolschie

JJS, what beautifully laid out projects!  Thanks for sharing!  They're the best looking subminiature-amps I've ever seen!  :)

aron

Thanks for sharing. Very, very nice looking work!

km-r

very amazing!! cool!
cant wait for the soundclips!

:icon_biggrin: :icon_biggrin:
Look at it this way- everyone rags on air guitar here because everyone can play guitar.  If we were on a lawn mower forum, air guitar would be okay and they would ridicule air mowing.