Boogeyman question

Started by Subzero, October 10, 2007, 10:35:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Subzero

I've been looking around the board and found some posts about this.
I love my Mark IV lead channel and wish I could find  pedal that can do this sound for venues that have their own DECENT amps ...
So I'm trying to find out what's the verdict on this pedal, is it really that bad or is it just a question of having to play with it to find the sweetspots ? I've been playing boogies for a very long time so I'm used to "searching" for the sound ...
Is it worth the time/effort/trouble or not?

Bucksears

Do you mean the 'Boogeyman' (Mark II emu) or the 'Dr. Boogey' (Dual Recto)?

Subzero

Yes, I mean the "Boogeyman" MK II emlation ...

Bucksears

It's an ok build, I did one a year or so ago when it came out. It was a little flabby here or there; needed to turn up the treble a bit to cut it through. Very much a vintage-style high gain. Somebody sent me some mods for the Boogeyman circuit to make it a little more 'amp accurate', but I haven't tried them out yet.

What particular sound are you looking for?

Subzero

Mark IV Lead channel, think Petrucci/Trout, or maybe a Mark II with a better EQ, I hope that describes it decently ...
The main problem is I can't find much info/clips of it and what ever I did find was very limited.

alfafalfa

Hi Bucksears ,

What were the mods that would supposedly make it better ?

Could you share them here ?

I would love to try such a circuit.

Alf

Bucksears

I'll have to dig it up at home and have a look.

Victor

I've just found out that the EQ section on Boogeyman's original schem (Bass and Mid, precisely) does not seem to operate like variable resistors as they should be. Both center lugs of those pots are disconectted, so in that way, they won't change anything in freq.

Boogeyman's tonestack is very similar (maybe equal, in "shape") to a Fender's tonestack. Doing that correction, we could make all pots interactive (it's not the first time that I read someone complain about Boogeyman's tonestack).

Based on that, I've developed a new layout for Boogeyman, using same approach that gm did on Boogey (star-grounding, etc..). I want to build it till Oct 20, so I can post my impressions about it. Maybe I'll post the schem and PCB during this weekend here, if you guys are ok with this, and you can verify, give opinions, anything.

And to finish, sorry for almost hi-jacking this thread, but I got very glad when I first saw that there are other DIYers willing to try this little beast.  :D

"I don't know if my mom had sex with Ted Nugent, but I feel like his son......" - Zakk Wylde

Subzero

No need to be sorry ...  ;)
I'm a newb at all of this, and for now, I could'nt recognise a tone stack if someone hit me on the head with it LOL, so any chance of learning something, especially about that specific circuit that is supposed to nail exactly what I'm looking for, is great for me. Obviously a pcb layout and any thing else you can come up with would be great.

Victor

Nice. So we'll wait Bucksears to post those mods he talked about (and if it's ok for him to share them with us).

"I don't know if my mom had sex with Ted Nugent, but I feel like his son......" - Zakk Wylde

John Lyons

That's interesting.
If the tone controls are basically not connected correctly then
that will make a lot of difference in how the circuit operates!!
Wonder why no one noticed this before?

John

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

Subzero

Subzero

sorry for nagging but any progress?

Victor

I put it on breadboard yesterday and so far, it is working ok. It has a very interesting tone (read as "open for improvements"). Until now, I've played with it for about only half hour, and here are some of my impressions:

-It's a vintage-high-gain tone like, fat and articulate. Think Santana's sound with more gain.
-Tonestack works different than Dr. Boogey, it has a lot of bass, just like the amp, mids reduce overall output level and can get very scooped or very fat. The odd Master Vol. at the end of the circuit is different, not regular volume. Pre vol pot works nice. Gain needs some improvement, just like Dr. Boogey.

I'll work on it some more this week, and during next weekend I'll post more......

:icon_biggrin:

Subzero

Great news :)

Any chance for some sound clips ?
Also , if possible, a stripboard, perfboard schematics would be great.

Thnx

Victor

First soundclip:

http://www.4shared.com/file/27343815/d0bb5470/Boogeyman1.html

Guitar: Epi LP Custom (59 neck and Duncan Custom bridge, single or humbucker thru each tone's pot)

Recorded w/ Guitar Rig 2.2 - just 4x12 Gratifier + Studio Reverb

Playing is pretty crappy.......

Subzero

Yep. it does sound pretty interesting and it even slightly reminds me of a boogie.
Wow ... if this thing can be tweeked the right way it can be a killer pedal !!! ...
Can't wait to see what it evolves too ...

Victor

Quote from: Subzero on October 26, 2007, 01:28:40 AM
Yep. it does sound pretty interesting and it even slightly reminds me of a boogie.
Wow ... if this thing can be tweeked the right way it can be a killer pedal !!! ...
Can't wait to see what it evolves too ...

Since you have experience with Boogies, how does and doesn't it remind you of their sounds? (in details, if possible, please)

This will help us to develop a better circuit.  :icon_biggrin:

Bucksears

Geez, I've really gotta post that modified Boogeyman schem, huh?

tranceracer

Victor! That's a nice sound you got there!  If there was a way to tame the buzz when the gain is cranked it would be GREAT! 

-tR