Boogeyman question

Started by Subzero, October 10, 2007, 10:35:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Victor

Quote from: Bucksears on October 26, 2007, 09:53:52 AM
Geez, I've really gotta post that modified Boogeyman schem, huh?

Please!  :icon_biggrin:

I have it all mounted on protoboard, it can be very easy to me to sub some parts to see the results...

"I don't know if my mom had sex with Ted Nugent, but I feel like his son......" - Zakk Wylde

Victor

Quote from: tranceracer on October 26, 2007, 03:22:13 PM
Victor! That's a nice sound you got there!  If there was a way to tame the buzz when the gain is cranked it would be GREAT! 

-tR

Thanks! Most of that buzz is coming from all those wires running like mad, close to each others in the protoboarb...... I still have to make bass frequencies tighter if possible, and discover some way to sound more amp-like......

"I don't know if my mom had sex with Ted Nugent, but I feel like his son......" - Zakk Wylde

Subzero

It's pretty hard to explain how a boogie sound but I'll do my best.
First and foremost, a boogie is very very FAT sounding. In fact it's oozing with fat. Some of the licks you played in the end felt pretty close to that fat.
The gain at some point was way too much,  but I'm not sure if I'd touch that, as it's allways easier to dial out some gain the to try and get more of it when it's none existant.
If you could do another clip with 1 riff played clean, 25% gain, 50%gain, 75%gain, 100%gain, and the do the same with a little solo lick, and play all of it once on the neck PU and once on the bridge PU, I think I can maybe be a bit more helpfull in describing what it sounds like.

Subzero

Victor

I got the PCB ready

Maybe today I'll start soldering

Subzero

Awsome !!!!  ;D :D

How does it sound ?
Any chance you recorded some sound clips ?

Thnx
Itsik

Victor

Sorry,

I'm not having time enough to build this thing.. too much things at college

Let's just wait for Bucksears to post those mods he talked about.  ;)

And then I'll try to finish this beast

Bucksears

DOH!!! I caught that. Editing wedding DVDs, working full time, studying for MS certs and having a girlfriend really does take priority, but I'm slowly (but surely) getting around to it.

Per dschwartz' breakthrough, I'm wondering now if the coupling cap size might be the answer (lowering the value) on the stock build of the Boogeyman to fix any bass flubbiness/fuzziness; might have to check out the original schematic again.
- Buck

Subzero

Any chance any of you guys culd make a vero layout for it ? I'm still a bit far from being able to do it but if I have a layout could try and do some tinkering as well ...

km-r

OMG  :o
i thought that the boogeyman and dr.boogey are the same thing!!!
Look at it this way- everyone rags on air guitar here because everyone can play guitar.  If we were on a lawn mower forum, air guitar would be okay and they would ridicule air mowing.

Victor

Well, my PCB was a mess, so I'll build a nicer one, before I make the heresy of soldering the components. This will take a while, so hold on...

Here's the schematic that I've used on protoboard w/ success:

http://img78.imageshack.us/img78/9735/boogeymanschemau9.png

I've reduced some inter-stage caps values, they are: C19, C7, C10 e C13.

Another interesting thing to do is to replace the two pots, gain and pre-volume, for one only gain, "double-pot". Since they both have the same function I recommend it.

You can also use a 3PDT to disable source capacitors of the FETs. It will leave the sound almost clean, cool, almost one extra channel.

Victor

Anyone tried to build this pedal in the protoboard? Come on, it's easy.....  ;D

Subzero

I'm going to give it a try this weekend altough I seriousy doubt my success ... >:(

guitarman89

Hey men! Any news on this project??
Anyone has the schematic with mods yet? Or a gaussmarkov's style layout?
I have a mesa quad preamp, but it is heavyweight and too big for live gig, i cannot use a rack cabinet for space issues...i love its rhytm and lead on channel 1, they are based in mark IIc+ (or similar) and i want a pedal that sounds in that way (for lead mainly)...boogeyman is the pedal, but I don't like the old layout...

Davide
built: MXR Dist+,dod250-280,dr boogey,IC buffers,cmos drive,multiface,20W SS pwr amps,phase90,tubescreamer,rat,amzMB,wuly mammoth,dod280,zombie chorus
under constur:60W 3886 amp,jcm800 em
www.myspace.com/guitarmanbll
www.myspace.com/filospinatopunk