How to make a 5 knob Drill Template

Started by s.r.v., October 12, 2007, 06:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

s.r.v.

Well I know i just made a thread on which drill press, but until i get that all sorted out I need to send my pedals off to get drilled. When I emailed the company about custom drilling, he said that he would need a drill template. Now my problem is this: I don't have a scanner, and mac doesn't have a program (that I can find) capable of drawing a template. This pedal is what I want the drilling to look like:
http://www.olcircuits.com/images/olc_englishchannel.jpg
but in one of these boxes:
http://pedalpartsplus.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=PPP&Product_Code=1700&Category_Code=ENC17
What do you suggest I do about this? Do you think that sending a picture of what I want it to look like would be sufficient? Thanks again!

foxfire

i bet if you posted the dimensions and locations of how you wanted it drilled someone would do it up for you? i have a cad program at work and if no one gets it done tonight i could do it up tomorrow.

Pushtone

I could do it, and send you a PDF.

I'm going to do a 1790N template this weekend anyway for a build I'm working on.
It's time to buy a gun. That's what I've been thinking.
Maybe I can afford one, if I do a little less drinking. - Fred Eaglesmith

John Lyons

I have not read the drill press thread but it seems you are making this too complicated.

Get a piece of lined paper. Put your box on the paper (top down) and trace the top of the box onto the paper with the top parallel to a line on the paper.
Measure the hole spacing you want and mark the places where you want the holes.
There you go, a drilling template!

Just tape the template on the box and drill that sucka...

Go to lowes, Home depot or? and get a $50 (or less) CORDED drill, I bought a dewalt last year and it's a great powefull drill for $50.
Go online to Harbor Freight and get a set of stepper bits. It's do all you want it to do. Practice makes perfect.

John
Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

Pushtone

Well, it seems he needs to be able to send it (electronically) to PPP for them to drill.

A template is the only way to guarantee the holes will be were he wants them.

And he will have the "paper" work to fall back on when, ah I mean, if they get it wrong.

Or he could just get that press.

Gee, that would be more to the DIY ethos.

Pushtone

How does this one look?

I posted it in the thread in case anyone else would like a copy.
It's editable with any vector based graphics app like Corel Draw or Adobe Ill.

Peace!

Let me know if the pots/switch/jack needs to be moved around.

s.r.v.

wow! that looks great!  ;D thank you so much! If its not too much trouble, can you through a dc jack in there? Thanks again!

Pushtone

Quote from: s.r.v. on October 12, 2007, 11:07:58 PM

can you through a dc jack in there? Thanks again!

Sure.

Where.

And are you sure you don't want the jacks on the rear apron instead of the sides?
I've had good luck with fitting the pots under the jacks like in this pic.
And with this size box they may not even need to overlap.

theundeadelvis

I use this free vector based graphics program to do my drill templates and decals: http://www.inkscape.org/
If it ain't broke...   ...it will be soon.

s.r.v.

do you have a template for the pic you posted? I think that layout would be the best for me. Thanks!

Pushtone

Quote from: s.r.v. on October 12, 2007, 11:13:47 PM
do you have a template for the pic you posted? I think that layout would be the best for me. Thanks!

That pic uses drill tolerances that are too tight for you to be able to send it away for someone else to drill.

After I tape the paper template onto the box I size up the part locations by eye.
Sometimes I don't drill on the cross hairs but slightly above or below.
You could get back a box that is unusable.

All the more reason to get that press.

nebucanazza

Here is a 4 knob 1590BB template you might find useful. It is a very rough template drawn using Paint and a 1590BB template( I forgot from where). You can select/copy/cut/rotate the parts(say a pot) and drag it around in Paint to change the layout to your requirements. Just print out at original size, cut and stick it to your box before drilling.

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=1558429944&size=o

s.r.v.

^ thanks! and one last question, I promise  :icon_lol:, do the marshall style jacks have the same drill size hole as the open metal jacks? I've never used the marshall...

Dave Simpson