can someone teach me how to convert PCB into Perf.

Started by stopstopsmile, October 15, 2007, 04:38:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stopstopsmile

I really need help with this, I have tried on my own to read and figure it out.  I have made a few attempts and the circuits didn't work.

I am in need of converting say a PCB layout into a perf wire build. 

I see constantly people putting up cool PCB layouts and I want to build them, but I don't etch.  I don't want to learn to etch yet either as I am still learning how to do the rest of this stuff.  So one thing at a time.

I find cool circuits like the stuff at tonepad, or layouts done here and I want to convert it in perf.

Can someone show me how, dumb it down for me :)

thanks

aron

>I am in need of converting say a PCB layout into a perf wire build. 

The problem is that you need to either copy it exactly but on perf, or get the schematic (by tracing if necessary), and then create your own perfboard layout.

That's the only way I know how to do this.

F2HF2H

I build the stuff from tonepad with a prefboard..
I use the bottom diagram. All I do is thinking 5 steps forward so you won't have waisted cpace on the board... "if i put the tansistor here, the capacitor will go there and the IC will sit here..." etc.
You can also search for layouts in the forum :)
A cat and a dog chattin':
Cat: "Dog, do you want to know how i caught the mouse?"
Dog: "how how"
:)

stopstopsmile

its tough for me to do because I am sucking at it, but I also find cool circuits but with no schematic. 

I do find layouts but they are PCB or Vero and I have no idea how to convert that, it just doesn't make sense to me.

If its possible to learn, I am willing, if someone is willing to teach I appreciate it. 

96ecss

Quote from: stopstopsmile on October 15, 2007, 04:57:23 PM
its tough for me to do because I am sucking at it, but I also find cool circuits but with no schematic. 

I do find layouts but they are PCB or Vero and I have no idea how to convert that, it just doesn't make sense to me.

If its possible to learn, I am willing, if someone is willing to teach I appreciate it. 

I'm not a perf builder as I prefer to etch my own pcb's but I think Aron is right, you need the schematic to create your own. If you come across a circuit you want to build, ask if the schematic is available. I know I've seen threads here where people just took the schematic or pcb layout and printed it on paper. Then they taped the paper on the perf and lined up the components that way. I don't remember who posted it though.

Dave

aron

Here's an old entry I wrote.

http://www.diystompboxes.com/wpress/?p=8

Note that I have been told that this is theoretically not the correct way to visualize this, but it has worked for me for years.

Aron

RickL

If you're not up to etching a circuit board (I've never done it and I've built hundreds of pedals) you might want to try what 4ms/commonsound calls (used to call?) the CBCB (for cardboard circuit board) method. I've used it for dozens of circuits and had very good success with it.

Basically you glue a copy of the circuit board traces, as seen from the back of the board, to a piece of cardboard (hence CBCB) or some other medium. I use Formica because it's cheap and sturdy, in fact you can get samples at places like Home Depot for free. Drill holes where all the component leads go through, just like if it was a real pcb, then connect all the parts together using the traces as a pattern. Use the component leads and extra wire or cut-off leads to join all the bits together. Wire the off-board parts just like a regular circuit board.

You can find more detailed information here http://www.commonsound.com/kits/doku.php

I'm a little surprised that more people don't use this method since it works so well for one-off circuits. I've successfully built phasers, flangers, delays, and envelope filters, as well as simpler distortions and boosters this way with almost 100% success.

John Lyons

One way you can practice your layouts is to take a look over at runoffgroove.com and see how they lay out their circuits.
They used to have blank perf board templates..maybe they still do.
Just compare the schematic with the perf and PCB layouts they do.

John

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/