I want to build a simple silicone tonebender

Started by stopstopsmile, October 18, 2007, 02:10:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stopstopsmile

I saw something about an easybender. 

I am looking to build a simplified tonebender, with mods for best sounds.  I want it to use simple easy to find transistors, silicone or germ but silicone because it can be easily found.

I want to nail those jimmy page tones, but be able to clean up a bit and be nice and warm and 60's english fuzz sounding

a nice tone control, gain, and volume.

I don't have a grasp on exactly how to do this, still learning. 

so I would appreciate some assistance :)

cab42

My third build was RDV's NPN Si Tonebender and it's still my favorite.

Its an easy build using 2N5088 and 2N3904 transistors.

You can find a (verified) vero layout in my gallery. RDV has schematic and soundclips here: http://fatboy.ssguitar.com/fatboy%20effects/Fatboy%20Effects.htm

Another easy, but great sounding  build is the Jordan Bosstone. Dragonfly has a cool layout. There has also been som great threads about it not long ago.

Have fun

Carsten

Edit: Spelling

• SUPPORTER
"Rick, your work is almost disgusting, it's so beautiful.  Meaning: it's so darned pretty that when I look at my own stuff, it makes me want to puke my guts out."
Ripthorn

petemoore

one way is
  Get yer FF bias on over time and transistors, once that's tuned,
  Stick a booster in front of it, use the TB schematics and references as a basic guide.
  IIRC Q1 needs another resistor to bias right with Si.
The second stage Being a FF: Q2's pick about low gain, choose Q3 for gain also.
  Then set it up again, 'till it's 'right enough'.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

mac

The simplest way is to use the original germanium schematic, and get some low gain silicons, 50<hfe<100, like 2N2369A which IMHO are the best for this. Another choices can be 2N3903, 2N3440, MPSA42.

The problem with silicon TB is Q1. Unless you use a resistor from collector to base it won't bias. Add this resistor and set collector voltage between 8.0 - 8.5v, a 1M or so may do it.  Then adjust Q3 collector resistor to set the voltage at around 4.5v. If you use the original schem with the 100k resistor at Q2 collector you'll need a 6k or so at Q3 collector. Look for the calculator in the wiki area, http://www.diystompboxes.com/biascalc/

BTW, some silicons may catch RF. If so, put a small cap (10pf - 100pf) from base to ground in some/all transistors. I don't like the usual cap from base to collector. These caps will also roll off some highs the silicons produce in excess.

mac
mac@mac-pc:~$ sudo apt-get install ECC83 EL84