Modifying the Ibanez Tube King

Started by snushsnush, October 18, 2007, 10:26:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

snushsnush

So, I was just about to sell my Ibanez Tube King TK999US when I opened it up and decided to spend money on it instead. Simple question first: I need a new tube. Any 12ax7 recommendations?
Ok.
Next I noticed that the ICs in this baby are three TL072s. Can/should I replace these? What other ICs can I use?

I hope a mod question is ok. I know this is a builder's forum.

jonathan perez

why mod it? what are you trying to get more/less out of it?
no longer the battle of midway...(i left that band)...

i hate signatures with gear lists/crap for sale....

i am a wah pervert...ask away...

bancika

The new version of DIY Layout Creator is out, check it out here

foxfire

having never had a "tube" pedal i don't know how much the tube actually affects the sound(?) but, you could grab a handful of nos tubes and play around with them.

petemoore

OA's @ TL072 IMO fine.
  Working 12a_7 is fine.
  I tried:
  12ay7
  12au7
  12ax7's EH, JJ, Ampex, probably 6 other brands. 
  It's been a while but iirc they all worked fine.

Convention creates following, following creates convention.

snushsnush

I feel mostly like I want to do this just to keep it fresh for me you know? I was going to sell it because I haven't used it in a while, but when I did use it I really used it. It's scuffed up and the tube blew so the resale value won't be great.

I could kind of stand to get less out of it actually. I wish the overdrive were a little smoother on it.

Also the ICs are socketed so why not? I could try any/all of anyone's suggestions pending availability.

foxfire

if you wanted less out of it you could try a lower gain tube like a 12at7(ecc81) or 12au7(ecc82). if you run tube amps it never hurts to have a few extra good tubes on hand.

jonathan perez

i dont really see what changing the ICs would do...if youre hoping to change them for something in the way of the tube screamer, im not sure...

but yeah, lower gain tubes will work awesomely.
no longer the battle of midway...(i left that band)...

i hate signatures with gear lists/crap for sale....

i am a wah pervert...ask away...

squidsquad

Hehe....you took the post right outa my...uhhh....fingers.  I have one also.  I've read the are 2 versions...I got the crappy one.
I'd also like *less* out of it (cleaner).  But the tube socket is all gooped up w/glue (came that way new).  Unsure how to change the tube.

snushsnush

Eh, just cut or rip the glue. I got some that dribbled into the socket that I had to fingernail out but it's not a huge deal. I'm pretty sure the two metal prongs at the top of the tube are for heat dissipation purposes because I don't think there are any contacts on the top of a tube. While you're in there another key modification is to switch those damn backwards jacks. Nothing says "outsourced design" like inconsistent jack placement (TSs have the jacks the normal way of course). What do you guys know about the switching in this thing? I assume (based on the fact that it's got an SPDT and an LED) that it's not true bypass, which makes sense if it's designed to be left on all the time, but if I'm running it into a tube amp it's better for an OD/boost.
Also the output jack isn't grounded? What's with that?

I must say that I'm surprised no one sells printed PCB clones of this pedal. The layout is so nice and clear on this board.

soulsonic

How about some pics of the inside. For, um..... for science. ::)
Check out my NEW DIY site - http://solgrind.wordpress.com

stephanovitch

Processaurus

Thank you for that, Stephanovitch.  A friend I play music with makes me keep his tube king alive  :icon_cry:.  It has had the weirdest problems.  #1 was it would get a crummy, dark tone every now and then, it turned out to be the input jack tip contact would sometimes rub against an electrolytic cap, and finally exposed the metal inside and would short on it.  #2 was a pot where the wafer had cracked in an odd way that was hard to track down but would make it behave erratically.