stripboard(vero board) is this point to point?

Started by stopstopsmile, October 19, 2007, 12:09:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stopstopsmile

I saw a vintage pedal that had in its ad handwired point to point and in the picture it looked like vero board?
so is this point to point?

smnm

Adverts (and auction listings) say 'point to point' to make a virtue out not using a pcb, but there's no reason why point to point would be automatically better in a pedal or an amp anyway.
But to answer your original question, vero/stripboard isn't point to point, but I have seen it described as such too - I think some people just take it to mean "not on a pcb".

here's an RG artlicle to mull over:  http://www.geofex.com/Article_Folders/pt-to-pt/pt-to-pt.htm

axg20202

I agree. Point-to-point means very little in relation to stomp boxes. Stomper PCBs are usually small with short trace distances between pads. There's also rarely (there are exceptions of course) any high voltages knocking about. Using this terminology for stomp boxes is mostly just buzz-word hype.

In amps, that's a different story as I'm sure you know. Point-to-point is more relevant because the lack of a PCB is desirable in some people's view, including mine. I think the latest offerings from Fender, for example, which use PCBs to keep costs down, are a lot less desirable and reliable than the point-to-point classic amps they used to produce. PCBs are more fragile and harder to repair. Their physical weakness in amps only tends to become really apparent when you take them on the road though. It becomes even more important with tube amps. I've seen plenty of tube amps where the tube sockets are mounted on a PCB and, over time, tube changes have stressed the PCB and/or solder joints, causing intermittent problems that have the potential to cause a power transformer to emit that special pixie smoke stored inside. As for sound, if a point-to-point wired amp uses correct lead dress and grounding scheme, it can be quieter too compared to amps built on PCBs with close-running traces packed onto a PCB to keep size and costs down. I'm sure others will disagree, but that's my experience.

stopstopsmile

I personally don't care, to me it doesnt matter as long as it sounds good.

But, I do want to know the terminology and just was curious if stripboard is thought of as ptp?

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

All military gear is PCB.
I don't think they are doing it for cost  :icon_wink:
(Ok, not wanting to start a pointless - or point2pointless! - war, but a well-designed PCB is as good as a good point-to-point, in my opinion. Whatever is appropriate.)

axg20202

Quote from: Paul Perry (Frostwave) on October 19, 2007, 10:49:43 PM
All military gear is PCB.
I don't think they are doing it for cost  :icon_wink:
(Ok, not wanting to start a pointless - or point2pointless! - war, but a well-designed PCB is as good as a good point-to-point, in my opinion. Whatever is appropriate.)

The military are making guitar amps? Surely not.  :icon_biggrin:  I was talking about PCBs in amps. The military probably use PCBs for their main benefit - size. It goes without saying that PCBs are fine if they are well designed and appropriately used, that wasn't my point. Fender are definitely using them to cut production costs, and the quality of their amps has definetly suffered as a result.

To answer the original questions, I would say no, stripboard is not usually thought of as point-to-point.

StephenGiles

"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Quote from: StephenGiles on October 20, 2007, 06:25:26 AM
Point to point - Emperor's New Clothes!!!

Emperor's OLD Clothes!

But, let a hundred flowers bloom, and all that. Peace!

axg20202

Quote from: StephenGiles on October 20, 2007, 06:25:26 AM
Point to point - Emperor's New Clothes!!!

If you're referring to it's claimed use in stomboxes, then I agree.