Transistor won't stay in the socket!

Started by brefmint, October 19, 2007, 12:01:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brefmint

I built a BYOC Fuzz Face several months ago and used the Ge transistors. I used the sockets to mount them to the board. My problem is....they keep falling out of the sockets. The sockets just don't grip the legs enough to keep them in over time.I gig with this pedal a lot and I dig the sound of these trannies so I'm thinking about soldering them straight to the board. Is this advisable? Or is there some other trick to keeping them in the sockets? I've bent the tranny legs so much over time that they are starting to look like dead spiders. :)

Thanks,
Matthew
Builds-- Fuzz Face, Tubescreamer(x2), AMZ Miniboost (x3), AMZ Mosfet Boost, Rangemaster(x2), Atari Punk Console, Ruby Amp w/ Bassman mod, EA Tremolo, Java Boost,

Working on: Tube Reamer/Miniboost Combo

darron

socketing isn't compulsory. it can be a good thing as you can try out different components later on. a common reason to use sockets is that they protect your components from getting damaged by soldering iron heat. components like transistors and opamps ARE designed to be soldered directly onto a board and this can safely be done as long as you are quick and efficient with your soldering. if you are worried about it, solder one leg then leave it to cool. repeat on all of the other legs.
Blood, Sweat & Flux. Pedals made with lasers and real wires!

jefe

Quote from: darron on October 19, 2007, 12:43:26 PM
socketing isn't compulsory. it can be a good thing as you can try out different components later on. a common reason to use sockets is that they protect your components from getting damaged by soldering iron heat. components like transistors and opamps ARE designed to be soldered directly onto a board and this can safely be done as long as you are quick and efficient with your soldering. if you are worried about it, solder one leg then leave it to cool. repeat on all of the other legs.

+1

Also, you can use some kind of heat sink while soldering them in, just to be extra safe. An alligator clip works nicely to suck away some of the soldering iron heat.

BoostAddict

Try holding the legs with pliers and using that to push it in more.  They should fit very tight and snug.

brefmint

Builds-- Fuzz Face, Tubescreamer(x2), AMZ Miniboost (x3), AMZ Mosfet Boost, Rangemaster(x2), Atari Punk Console, Ruby Amp w/ Bassman mod, EA Tremolo, Java Boost,

ambulancevoice

yeah, thou can solder it directly in using an alligator clip heat sink
but if your going to try this, be extra careful, cause germ's are more sensitive to heat than sili's
Open Your Mouth, Heres Your Money

m_charles

Hot Glue! Don't go crazy, but stick the trannie into the socket, give it a small squirt, and you're all set.

chuck

frankclarke

I don't know what it is called, it fits perfboard.

ambulancevoice

there called pcb mount screw terminals, usally used for wires
Open Your Mouth, Heres Your Money

brefmint

Thanks for all of the tips! I've got them in the sockets pretty good at this point but if they fall out again I've got some new tricks to try. Thanks!

Matthew

Pushtone

Sockets are really meant for prototyping.

They have no business being in a production, or for that matter, a giging pedal.

One good whack will pop out any trany even in a proper fitting socket.

Don't take the chance.
Solder it in and be done with it.

(solder would be easier to undo than hot glue too)
It's time to buy a gun. That's what I've been thinking.
Maybe I can afford one, if I do a little less drinking. - Fred Eaglesmith

the_random_hero

Quote from: Pushtone on October 22, 2007, 09:58:21 PM

Sockets are really meant for prototyping.

They have no business being in a production, or for that matter, a giging pedal.

One good whack will pop out any trany even in a proper fitting socket.

Don't take the chance.
Solder it in and be done with it.

(solder would be easier to undo than hot glue too)

I disagree. I've always used IC strip sockets and I've never had a problem with transistors falling out, no matter how harshly I treat my pedals. I've dropped the Stiffy onto concrete and totally ruined the finish on the box, but the internals were absolutely fine.

brefmint - are you using the rounded sockets or strip sockets? I've heard a few people having problems with the rounded types, I think their solution was to use the strip sockets on the transistor legs, and then plug this into the socket.
Completed Projects - Modded DS1, The Stiffy, Toaster Ruby, Octobooster Mk. II, Pedal Power Supply

96ecss

I agree with Pushtone. I only use sockets for prototyping. All of my pedals that I build to gig with, or for my friends to gig with have the transisotrs and IC's soldered in. If you're concerned about heat, solder one leg at a time and wait a few seconds for it to cool down.

Dave

Shepherd

Are we talking about junky folded metal sockets or quality machined pin ones?

96ecss

petemoore

Now for something we think you'll really like  !!
  Carefully place matchstick with two drops of woodglue makes it easy to break the transistor loose again if ever need be.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

brefmint

It's a BYOC Ultimate Fuzz and the sockets are the round kind.