Tonepad Small Clone on 15V ???

Started by goodrevdoc, October 19, 2007, 09:14:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

goodrevdoc

OK, so i need a mono in --> Stereo out chorus for a project I'm working on, and I already have all the parts and have made the boards for the small clone. What I'm curious about is will it run on 15V or do I have to slap a regulator on it? The chips all seem fine, and as long as I use properly rated electros nothing should fry. I am just wondering if anyone has thoughts or ideas as to anything I may be forgetting. Thanks in advance...
-justin

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

I'd regulate it, myself.
Quite apart from anything else - like the BBD frying - you would have to retune bits of it to get the range right.

Processaurus

Look up datasheets for the chips it uses, the BBD and the cmos chip doing the clock might possibly not be happy, the opamps and transistors are fine however.  Higher voltage means more headroom with this circuit, which is definitely desirable.  Check the electrolytic caps are rated for 25v, the 16v ones are cutting it too close.

It would definitely run fine on 12v, which you could get just by running a couple 1n4001 diodes in series with the +from the 15v power supply..

Pushtone

FWIW

I've never had headroom / distortion problems with the Small Clone and I run a booster in front of it.

In fact I find I get better S/N ratio from the Small Clone by feeding it a hotter signal.
It's time to buy a gun. That's what I've been thinking.
Maybe I can afford one, if I do a little less drinking. - Fred Eaglesmith

Processaurus

Quote from: Pushtone on October 21, 2007, 02:26:54 AM

FWIW

I've never had headroom / distortion problems with the Small Clone and I run a booster in front of it.

In fact I find I get better S/N ratio from the Small Clone by feeding it a hotter signal.

I liked running mine on 12v because mine would distort strumming chords with these hot pickups on my crummy tester guitar.  Must have been louder than your axe, especially because I also marveled at the lack of noise, so it must be a good strong signal.  The original poster would have nothing to lose running higher than 9v sound-wise, as long as nothing fried...

goodrevdoc

Hey thanks for the replies everyone. So I got it up and running on 9V and it sounds really good, so I'm probably just going to regulate the 15V down. Problem is now, since it sounded so good with my guitar, I now have to build another one to box up. :icon_biggrin:
-jusitn