Help!! Wierd jack problem

Started by nebucanazza, October 20, 2007, 04:24:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nebucanazza

I am trying to get my first build to work. Even the bypass is not working. I first thought I had wired my 3PDT wrong, but after much resoldering and checking,that was found to be correct. Using the continuity mode on my DMM I found that somehow the tip and sleeve are getting shorted both at input and output. As soon as  I remove the jack from the enclosure, this short goes away. But as soon as I fit the jack to the enclosure, the tip and sleeve are getting shorted! I am using normal switchcraft type open jacks. Help!!

aron

Maybe what you think is the tip is really the ring (if you have a stereo jack).

nebucanazza

I thought so too at first, but I used the continuity meter to make sure it was actually correct. Anyway the output jack is mono, and it has the same problem. I am sure I am missing something here :icon_frown:

nebucanazza

Anyone?? I am really getting frustrated as I've been breaking my head over this for the last 2 days >:(

CGDARK

Maybe a photo would help us to find what's happening.

CG ;D

aron

Maybe you have ground going to the tip and the signal to the ground/sleeve lug.

nebucanazza

^Checked that too..but the problem is the two lugs are shorted. The continuity checker gives a positive when the two lugs are tested. As soon as I remove the jack from the enclosure, it shows the correct connection. I have compared my connections to a working pedal I bought earlier, and it all seems correct.

$uperpuma

I've had jacks short out to themselves before... some really cheap ones. check for continuity between the contacts of each jack..unhooked from the circuit
Breadboards are as invaluable as underwear - and also need changed... -R.G.

Austin73

your not using a metal dc power socket on the enclosure as I did that once and everytime I plugged in it shorted but would be able to tell if we had a pic

Cheers

Aus
Bazz Fuss, Red LLama, Harmonic Jerkulator, LoFo MoFo, NPN Boost, Bronx Cheer, AB Box, Dual Loop, Crash Sync

nebucanazza

Thats the weird part. When unhooked from the circuit, the connections are proper. The tip and sleeve are not shorted . I have checked with the cable inserted too, and it all comes out perfectly fine. As soon as bolt it to the enclosure, it shorts out. Maybe I should try with another set of jacks.

Here is a pic(mobile cam, so excuse the poor quality). The huge gobs of solder are remnants of my numerous debugging attempts :icon_redface: The two black ground wires from the jacks are currently disconnected for debugging. They were connected to battery -ve.

Austin73

ok just looked as your pic at least your not doing the metal dc connector thing that I did once.

Looking at the pic I can't really see too much wrong with the wiring although I use a slightly different 3pdt wiring so I know where to look.

Can you confirm that your bypass works ?

Does the circuit work before you put it into the enclosure? That might be a solder issue bridging tracks

Will try and have a closer look at the pic tonight but nothing is jumping out at present. What circuit is it by the way

Aus
Bazz Fuss, Red LLama, Harmonic Jerkulator, LoFo MoFo, NPN Boost, Bronx Cheer, AB Box, Dual Loop, Crash Sync

Austin73

ok still not getting anywhere with this .

Heres what I do dc plug pos and neg go to board then off board i have resistor to led via3pdt switch and the 1/4" sockets ground go to circuit not sure if this is the proper way to do it but I normally have no problems with it.

The reason I try not to have too many wires going to sockets etc is the huge blob of solder and the prospect of solder bridges and when it comes to debugging Its alot easier to see straight away.

Can you confirm when you put the jack in the socket it doesn't catch the LED?

Aus

cheeb

It kinda looks like your input jack may short against the enclosure when there's a plug in it. But I can't really tell much else that hasn't been covered. I gotta go back to what Austin73 said though...did it work before you put it in the enclosure?

--Cory

Geoffrey Teese

The jacks could simply be defective.  There could be an issue with the crimping that lends to connectivity when tightened in a case.  I know for a fact that Switchcraft is experiencing some QC issues.  If you have another set of jacks on hand, meter them "dry" to make sure they appear proper and then install them in the case and meter them again.  If they read fine, replace the ones you currently have in your build.

Good luck!

nebucanazza

Thanks for the replies guys! I also couldn't find any basic mistakes as such ( I have a lot of homework for this). When the jacks are out of the box, they read perfect on the DMM continuity mode. Maybe they are shorting once I put it in. I didn't get time to try it out outside the box, will do so and report back. I have some Neutrik jacks besides the no brand Taiwanese ones I am using in the current build.

EDIT: With the jacks outside, the bypass is working! So most probably the jacks are defective. Could there be any other reason why they would short as soon as they are fixed to the enclosure?

nebucanazza

Looks like one of the jacks was touching the enclosure somewhere after all :icon_redface:  Let me solder the rest of the wires and power up the baby now.