axis fuzz silicone- need perf layout and help with trannies

Started by stopstopsmile, October 24, 2007, 02:51:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stopstopsmile

I want to buid the axis fuzz silicone
but my perf layout skills are lacking,  can anyone help me with a perf layout

lastly I cannot locate any of the transistors it calls for.

Is there any silicone trannies that will sound great, will work in this circuit, are cheap and easily found say at small bear?

8mileshigh

Do you have a link to the schem ?  It this the one from Fuzz Central ?

Chris
Builts completed: Tweak-O, Fuzz Face Si and Ge, Rangemaster,Fuzzrite Si & Ge, Bazz Fuzz, L'il Devil Fuzz, Bosstone one knober, Bosstone Sustainer, Cream Pie, Kay Fuzztone. http://www.myspace.com/chrisdarlington

petemoore

Follow the basic gain guidelines for FF, low gain, about 70hfe for Q1, 130hfe for Q2 on the low side, 150/Q1 and 300/q2 on the high side...YMMV, generally lower gain transistors for FF, lower gain of the two in Q1.
  I had good luck with
  2n4401
  2n2369 [IIRC]
  2n2222
  In Q1
  and
  2n3904
  2n2222
  BC108
  in Q2
  If your DMM has an Hfe meter, measuring Si's is cool because they're all low leakage.
  Transistors are basically cheap, get a handful, run some tests, note Hfe / Gain relationships as weighed in with how well it cleans up at the guitar volume, tone etc.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Dragonfly

if you cant find the 2n2369's, you should be able to find 2n3903's....really good sounding "low gainers".

stopstopsmile

yes its the one from fuzzcentral the axis fuzz
here is the link to the schematic
http://fuzzcentral.ssguitar.com/axisface.php

if anyone can make or has a nice tight perf layout that would be great.

I am practicing my perf building but unfortunatly my layouts are still total crap.

frankclarke

It is basically a Fuzz Face, so any NPN FF layout would work with minor changes. You can use your guitar volume instead of the smooth control.

burnt fingers

try this one
http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/v/Burnt-Fingers-stuff/Layouts-and-schematics/Plutonium_fuzz_perf.gif.html

I made this based on the fuzz central schematic but made some changes to my liking.  the differences are C2 and R1 on my layout aren't on the schematic and a few of my values are differnt but the layout will work. 

Scott

Rock and Roll does not take a vacation!!

www.rockguitarlife.com
My Music

tcobretti

I cannot resist pointing out that the fuzzcentral pedal is the axis FACE with roger mayer designed the axis FUZZ.  It is a subtle but crucial difference.  The Axis Face is a great sounding Si FF, while the Mayer Axis Fuzz is something completely different.

stopstopsmile

tcobretti, do you have a layout.  I want to build this one. 

hellwood

Quote from: stopstopsmile on October 24, 2007, 02:51:58 AM
I want to buid the axis fuzz silicone
but my perf layout skills are lacking,  can anyone help me with a perf layout

man, you arent going to be sorry. mine screams like a $2 whore! http://www.theharshcarpets.com/forum_pics.htm
if you have used a breadboard a few times this will be much easier but, i just lay out the components on the perfboard exactly how they appear on the schematics kind of like a floor plan is used in construction. there are usually more or less 3 rows that components have in common. for example, i do minor adjustments to get all grounded components to meet at the bottom and the same with the components connected to the voltage supply on the top and the crap in the middle (input, transistors, output).

Quote from: stopstopsmile on October 24, 2007, 02:51:58 AM
lastly I cannot locate any of the transistors it calls for.
Is there any silicone trannies that will sound great, will work in this circuit, are cheap and easily found say at small bear?

i tested piles of transistor combos for that circuit and came up w/ Q1 Hfe 171, Q2 Hfe 255. small bear? you can get  packs of PNP 3906's / 4687's or NPN 5089's / 4124's / 3904's at any radio shack. oh, and i intentionally left out the 220 resistor and the .001 cap.

oh, http://fuzzcentral.ssguitar.com/schematics.php

Dragonfly

Quote from: hellwood on October 25, 2007, 03:32:50 AM
man, you arent going to be sorry. mine screams like a $2 whore! http://www.theharshcarpets.com/forum_pics.htm

Hey  Hellwood....

What kind of enclosure is that in the upper right hand corner of the page you linked ? (the 3 knob fuzz)
How do you like the enclosure ? Where'd you get it ? Self made ?

Me likes !  :D

hellwood

Hey  Hellwood....

What kind of enclosure is that in the upper right hand corner of the page you linked ? (the 3 knob fuzz)

[/quote]

cool! thanks! the enclosures are home made. thats my univox superfuzz on the right. im glad you appreciate my hard work! what did you think of the trianglar one on the bottom left?

Dragonfly

Quote from: hellwood on October 25, 2007, 12:59:03 PM

Hey  Hellwood....

cool! thanks! the enclosures are home made. thats my univox superfuzz on the right. im glad you appreciate my hard work! what did you think of the trianglar one on the bottom left?
[/quote]

Not real "practical", but very cool ! :)

DougH

Quote from: tcobretti on October 25, 2007, 02:18:56 AM
I cannot resist pointing out that the fuzzcentral pedal is the axis FACE with roger mayer designed the axis FUZZ.  It is a subtle but crucial difference.  The Axis Face is a great sounding Si FF, while the Mayer Axis Fuzz is something completely different.

Yeah, it's very confusing. And I much prefer the RM Axis Fuzz over any of the Fuzz Face stuff.
"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you."

tcobretti

I love both the Axis Fuzz and Face; they are two of my favorite fuzzes.  A huge part of any guitar tone is the application.  To me, every FF sounds better with a single coil guitar, while the Axis Fuzz sounds great with humbuckers.  I will say, however, that neither of these (nor the Big Muff for that matter) is particularly fuzzy.  To me, a real FUZZ is the Orpheus/Fuzzrite and the other pedals of that family.  Those are some nasty fuzzes.

hellwood

Quote from: DougH on October 25, 2007, 07:14:52 PM
Quote from: tcobretti on October 25, 2007, 02:18:56 AM

Yeah, it's very confusing. And I much prefer the RM Axis Fuzz over any of the Fuzz Face stuff.

whats this?
http://fuzzcentral.ssguitar.com/schematics/axisfuzzschem.gif

tcobretti

stopstopsmile

yeah its a bummer my version of the axis from fuzzcentral failed.  my roger mayer version is fine.
I for some reason cannot get the layout for the fuzzcentral axis to work for me.  Thats why I started this thread.
Some people are better at this than myself, its fun but I struggle thats for sure. 

hellwood

is there some other axis face that is not affiliated w/ roger mayer?