Simple controller box thing. Enclosure size?

Started by speak_onion, October 26, 2007, 03:58:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

speak_onion

Here's what I want to do, all in one box:
1) A true bypass loop.  In, out, send and return, a 3PDT switch, an LED, blam. 
2) Two latch switches to control bypass and infinite repeat on a rack delay, each with an LED.  This would only involve one TRS output. 
3) A switch that presents 9V to either the tip or sleeve of a TRS jack.  This will control a relay-based bypass system for a rack filter.  I'd like this to have a status LED as well.

That adds to 6 audio jacks (two of them stereo), a power jack, four switches and four LEDs.  Two of the switches can be stacked one behind the other, because I never it the infinite repeat without also turning on the delay.  What is the smallest enclosure that can handle all this and where can I find such an enclosure?  I have about 5 1/2" by 4" free on my pedalboard to put this in.  Is that enough? 

This might be a totally stupid question, if so I'm sorry.  I'm new here.  I know how to build what I want, but finding the parts is always hard, and finding enclosures has always proved the most hard for me. 

Pushtone

Here is a link to the suppliers wiki.
http://www.diystompboxes.com/wiki/index.php?title=Links
Many here would recommend Small Bear Electronics. There are others

If I were to box this up I would go for a "DD" sized enclosure.
7.38" x 4.7" x 1.3"
http://www.smallbearelec.com/Detail.bok?no=52
Depends on how much space would like between switches and jacks.

Get some graph paper and lay it out in pencil.
It's time to buy a gun. That's what I've been thinking.
Maybe I can afford one, if I do a little less drinking. - Fred Eaglesmith

David

How about a square (quad) Raco box and cover?  Probably $4 at your big box building products store.  About 4 inches square.  You can mount on the top and all 4 sides.  In theory, should be plenty of room.  They polish up pretty nicely with a wire brush and look rather decent with a few coats of clear lacquer.

Mark Hammer

You can purchase the Hammond-style boxes that EHX is using for many of their newer pedals from Small Bear and other places.  At 5.7" x 4.7", it falls between a BB and DD size and comes close to your indicated space.