waterslide decals

Started by stopstopsmile, October 26, 2007, 06:22:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stopstopsmile

can someone give me a tutorial on how to do waterslide decals on pedals?

theundeadelvis

If you using waterslides for laser printers here's what I do.

1. Print my image on a sheet of paper.
2. Cut the decal stock to just slightly bigger than the print out.
3. Peel of the thin white protective paper (thin translucent stuff not the thicker backing)
4. Tape the decal stock on the paper exactly over the image printed earlier
5. Re-insert paper and print (set print quality to highest)
6. Trim the decal
7. Let it soak in a bowl for a couple minutes (you will notice the film beginning to separate from the backing.
8. Moisten the enclosure slightly and set the decal with backing on it and gently slide the decal off the backing slightly, then pull the backing out the rest of the way from under the decal.

I print one decal the size of the entire face of the enclosure so there are no noticeable edges.
If it ain't broke...   ...it will be soon.

stopstopsmile

can you put these on painted enclosures?
how good of a printer do you need?
how expensive is this to do per pedal?

theundeadelvis

Yes you can put them over a painted enclosure (you then want to use a clear coat. I use PlastiKote Super Lacquer).
I use a $120 laser printer and it works fine
A sheet f decal is $2 from small bear and I get a bout 6-8 pedals worth out of one sheet.

jakenold

Would you clear coat the enclosure before you place the waterslide or after?

Kind regards, Jake

theundeadelvis

Cardboard Tube Samurai

I clearcoat the decals after I have printed on them and then again once they are dry on the enclosure. I have had them fall apart on my when I have forgotten to clearcoat them after printing... the toner just went brittle and fell off when I soaked it in water

ItZaLLgOOd

I did mine with a cheap Lexmark inkjet.  It works out pretty well.  I laquer before the soaking as well.  A pack of Testors waterslide paper (I think there are 10  5.5 X 8 sheets??) is about $10 by me and you can get 2 decals (1590B) on one sheet depending on the enclosure.
Lifes to short for cheap beer