Mark Hammers' RoseyRay

Started by Baktown, October 28, 2007, 04:04:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baktown

Greetings all on this fine Sunday afternoon!

Has anyone built a Mark Hammer RoseyRay recently?  I stumbled across this Vero layout by Torchy, and I wanted to know if it's the updated version.  After reading some threads about the RoseyRay, it seems it's prone to making "motorboat" sounds unless it's been modified.

Can anyone look at this layout and tell me if this is the latest?

Thanks dudes!

Axl

JOHNO

looks identical to the on marks page exept theres no cap in parallel with the leds on your lay out and also there should be a break in the bottom track between r3 and r9. hey but i could be wrong check it out. thats probally whats causing the motorboating.i dont think mark builds pedals that motorboat,does he?

JOHNO

oh no the cap is there i over looked it just cut the track im thinkin

Mark Hammer

Quote from: JOHNO on October 29, 2007, 01:43:27 AM
i dont think mark builds pedals that motorboat,does he?
Unfortunately, yes he does. :icon_redface:
You will note that is you trace the path between the output of the 2nd clipping stage and its input, there is a DC path.  Walk through it with me: http://hammer.ampage.org/files/Roseyray.gif  First 22k, then 10k, then 250k, then 6k8, then 10k.  There needs to be a DC-blocking cap or two.  A .1-.22uf cap between the 6k8 resistor and where it joins the 10k input resistor is a good start.

JOHNO

unfortunatly mark i would not no a dc path if it came up and bit me on the backside.i hope to soon.am i right about the trace needing to be cut between r3 and r9? it was just and observation.

Mark Hammer

A DC path means there is no capacitor in the way to block DC voltages and only permit AC (i.e., audio signal) to pass.

And no, R3 and R9 should not be in contact with each other.

slacker

I built this the other day using my own vero layout with the added DC blocking caps. I also added the 470pF cap to ground off the wiper of the tone pot that Mark mentioned in an old post. For the decoupling caps I used a 470n on the Nasty side and a 47n on the nice side to tame the bass a bit.
It's a great pedal the range of tones you can get out of it is incredible everything from Tube Screamery overdrive to Big Muff style fuzz.
On Torchy's layout as well as the track cut needed between the bottoms of R3 and R9 there should also be one between the bottom of C10 and the top of C13. In fact you don't actually need C13 at all, because C7 and C9 are blocking any DC from the output so you can just connect the wiper of the tone pot to lug 3 of the volume pot.
If I get chance this week I'll clean up my vero layout and post it.

Baktown

That would be most excellent if you could post the revised layout.

Muchas gracias senor!

Axl