Flatline vs Soul Preacher vs Orange Sqz

Started by raulgrell, October 29, 2007, 09:59:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

raulgrell

I'm in need of a compressor, and thus decided to build myself one... I've been looking around and the most popular compressors seem to be the Dynacomp and the ones mentioned in the title. The Dynacomp, I already plan on buying/building, as it seems to be the benchmark for compressors, but I figured 2 is never too much, especially if I ever need a backup...

What are your experiences with John's Flatline compressor, the Soul Preacher and the OS? What are the main differences?

Mark Hammer

Flatline = photocell = less distortion and potential for quieter path.  However, some photocells can have longish recovery time, hence no option for quick-in/quick-out peak limiting (if you pick the "right" photocell, though....)

Orange Sqz = FET attenuation = potential for very quick response.  Very wide base of builders/users here.  Some risk of build problems, but that may be more a reflection of how many novices attempt it and get bamboozled by FET pinouts.

Soul Preacher = more complex build = greater potential for noise in signal path.

Biggest deciding factor is: What do you need/want the pedal to do for you?  Different compressor designs have different pros and cons.  The best decision will be one that matches up the strengths of the design with your identified needs.

pedalgrinder

flatline and soul preacher act more like compressor's and the orange squeezer is a automatic volume control time to go back to basic electronics

Earthscum

lol... ever have one of those moments where you bite your tongue and just wait for the show?
Give a man Fuzz, and he'll jam for a day... teach a man how to make a Fuzz and he'll never jam again!

http://www.facebook.com/Earthscum

therecordingart

Quote from: pedalgrinder on January 02, 2012, 10:01:50 AM
flatline and soul preacher act more like compressor's and the orange squeezer is a automatic volume control time to go back to basic electronics

Really? Seriously?  ???

pedalgrinder

well this could be an interesting show. I guess it all depends how nitty gritty you get. And i wasn't refering about mark hammers comments he know's his shit. But what i meant was sometimes a lot of these units are more so automatic volume controls more so than a true compressor. If you understand the actual theory of what the unit does. You would somewhat agree

therecordingart

Quote from: pedalgrinder on January 03, 2012, 09:48:07 AM
well this could be an interesting show. I guess it all depends how nitty gritty you get. And i wasn't refering about mark hammers comments he know's his sh*t. But what i meant was sometimes a lot of these units are more so automatic volume controls more so than a true compressor. If you understand the actual theory of what the unit does. You would somewhat agree

Not worth it.

deadastronaut

https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

Renegadrian

Done an' workin'=Too many to mention - Tube addict!

pedalgrinder

you got no idea recordingart give me best if you think your all that

pedalgrinder

so the so called experts on compressor won't come and play not worth it. What i have said is not in correct if your such and expert give me your detailed explanation rather than sit back like a little girl and say not worth it and put a quote up

CynicalMan

Pedalgrinder, what is the difference between an automatic volume control and a "true" compressor then?

therecordingart

Quote from: pedalgrinder on January 03, 2012, 09:20:41 PM
so the so called experts on compressor won't come and play not worth it. What i have said is not in correct if your such and expert give me your detailed explanation rather than sit back like a little girl and say not worth it and put a quote up

I don't think I'm all that. I don't claim to be. Nor do I claim to be a compressor expert.

The simple fact is that you are being rude to the OP. I don't feel it necessary to prove anything to you, but if you truly are interested in seeing some of my compressor builds you can check out the latest API 500 series build at:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/70231165@N03/sets/72157628119562183/

I'm sure I can dig up photos of the SSL4000 series comps that I built a few years ago.

Anyway...drop the attitude. It doesn't benefit anyone in this community to be so full of yourself.

Earthscum

Time to take care of definitions here:

LIMITER:

COMPRESSOR:

All the compressors I've built:

:icon_redface:

It's kind of like a motor. By definition: n.
1. Something, such as a machine or an engine, that produces or imparts motion.
2. A device that converts any form of energy into mechanical energy, especially an internal-combustion engine or an arrangement of coils and magnets that converts electric current into mechanical power.

A motor is a motor, by what it does as the end result.

Compression and limiting are the same way... doesn't matter how it's done, as long as the end result is the same. A compressor compresses, albeit in different mannerisms, and a Limiter Limits the signal to a defined threshold.  ;D

ETA:

Sorry, just found a great example of a Compressor/Limiter combo...
Give a man Fuzz, and he'll jam for a day... teach a man how to make a Fuzz and he'll never jam again!

http://www.facebook.com/Earthscum

pedalgrinder

you started the attitude on my opinion and iam entitled to it. You claimed to be god so i challenged you on it. Your the one that need to look at my look at me iam fanatastic build i couldn't give a shit about your builds iam as comptetent as you nor do i need to prove it. So don't sit there and tell me i have the attitude your the one who challenged my opinion with a smart arse comment.

therecordingart

Quote from: pedalgrinder on January 04, 2012, 12:57:27 AM
you started the attitude on my opinion and iam entitled to it. You claimed to be god so i challenged you on it. Your the one that need to look at my look at me iam fanatastic build i couldn't give a sh*t about your builds iam as comptetent as you nor do i need to prove it. So don't sit there and tell me i have the attitude your the one who challenged my opinion with a smart arse comment.

The only thing I took issue with was the snarky "Back to basic electronics" jab you took at the OP. It's not necessary. You asked to be put in your place, but truly, this isn't worth my time. I'm going to stop feeding the trolls now.

Have a wonderful day.

pedalgrinder

what cause i state the obvious this is basic electronics on something like that. Its not rocket science i think you took a basic comment out of context. I am happy feeding trolls. I got no issue with stating what i believe nor will i be told how i should state my opinion. So Enjoy building.

CynicalMan

If it's so basic, then can you please tell us the difference? I've been googling and all of the sources I've seen treat compressors as a type of automatic gain control.

bluetubes

I've been on this forum since about 2005.  I've only posted a handful of posts as I am not real astute in the electronics field (compared to the many here) and I am not a "chatter".  However, I find this site great for learning and I am here pretty much everyday reading.

It never ceases to amaze me to see posts with these kinds of comments.  Forty posts in and trying to start fights with people.  I don't get it.  This is a place for people to learn to build effects and share   knowledge.  Not an EE contest.  Ego flexing is a sad thing.  I feel sorry for people who feel like they have to do it.

pedalgrinder

well yes in a very simplistic form that is true they reduce the dynamic range. so one could say it is automatic volume control. in the case of the orange sqeezer it has set attack and release so the release is fairly long with a fairly short attack time which is what automatic volume control for a tv would do also. where the others are in some ways automatic volume controls but not as much as the os. I must admit the flatline is an interesting beast but is optical and also acts in some ways like a avc but being led and also depending on the ldr responds it would have a tendency to pump to try and use it as a avc. so its not a true avc. the soul preacher from memory so don't hold me to this acts like a true compressor with a more longer attack time and again is set but is set up to give as much sustain to the note as possible. I am not a big fan of the design. One thing you must do with any compressor limiter or avc is study it's sidechain. effectively you can make a bad unit sound good just by fiddling with the attack and release time constants. or if you want make them adjustable. The trick is to know what resistor is the key role that does that. Hope my un educated speil has told you something cause if i claim to know anything i will get shot down in flames. So feel free to ask my lowely opinion  ;D