Thor Tightness

Started by erick4x4, October 29, 2007, 12:40:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

erick4x4

So I have and absolutely love my thor. I have posted before and made a few tweaks, and love them. I put a pot +10k in for the 33k resistor so that I can tweak the bass boost. 2 questions

1) I love how this pedal sounds transparent with different guitars, but notice on high output pickups it can get just a little too fuzz tone. I would guess I would want to lower the 1n cap right before the gain pot. By how much? Or what else?

2) I never use the bright switch, if I wanted it to be more subtle would i just make the 470pf cap really small?

stm

Quote from: erick4x4 on October 29, 2007, 12:40:27 PM
So I have and absolutely love my thor. I have posted before and made a few tweaks, and love them. I put a pot +10k in for the 33k resistor so that I can tweak the bass boost. 2 questions

1) I love how this pedal sounds transparent with different guitars, but notice on high output pickups it can get just a little too fuzz tone. I would guess I would want to lower the 1n cap right before the gain pot. By how much? Or what else?

2) I never use the bright switch, if I wanted it to be more subtle would i just make the 470pf cap really small?
Hi,

1) In order to reduce low frequency content for fat pickups I'd suggest to reduce the 1n cap before the gain pot down to 680p or even 470p.  See what works better in your case.

2) Changing the bright cap to a smaller value won't help with the excess of treble boost, just will change the range of frequencies affected.  What you want here is to place a 220k (may try 100k to 330k) resistor in series with the 470p cap so as to limit maximum treble boost.  More info in this thread: http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=62168.0

Cheers.

polifemo

Hi,

I´m´the one with a 220k resistor in series with the bright cap.
Right now I´ve got a 470k in there, and that might be a better value for certain amps.

It all depends on what amp you´re using!
220k will be OK with a dark amp, 470k will be fine with a bright amp etc

I would guess that higer values will work just fine as well.
It´s such a simple mod  :D

The THOR is wonderful!