Smooth trem: Hearthrob or Colorsound??

Started by snoof, October 31, 2007, 12:59:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snoof

I'm looking to build a small 2-3 knob trem(as in not the trem lune).  My goal is to find one that can do smooth, as well as choppy, but it's gotta do smooth first and foremost.  I know the Colorsound trem sounds good and smooth, but does the Hearthrob do a smooth trem, or is it more of a choppy thang??  Anyone have any other opinions on either of these trems??

~arph

The heartthrob is a sine wave trem and can do very smooth indeed.

96ecss

The Heart Throb is very smooth and I would definitely recomend it. I've never heard the Colorsound.

Dave

snoof

Good to know guys, sounds like I'm on the right track with the Hearthrob.

John Lyons

I've never heard of the Colorsound trem either. Do you have a link to it?
While the Heartbeat can do the chop thing it can do smooth as well. 2 knobs!

Here are a couple sounds clips of the heartthrob tremolo:

Speed Range

Twang

Depth Range
The depth obviously gets shallower but I was showing off the deeper settings.

Max Depth/Various Speeds

John

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

Jim Jones

Hey John,

I can't get your direct links to work but I went to the site in your sig and had a listen - sounds great!

Man, those wooden boxes are something else!  I think I'd be afraid to step on them.  :)  Do you line them with foil or anything?

Take care!

Jim

snoof

@John- I totally forgot that I listened to your clips of the hearthrob long ago, thanks for the reminder!  D'oh.  And yes, it sounds right up my alley, so i'll give it a go.  I breadboarded the Colorsound bout a year ago.  It sounded real nice, almost approaching the Vibra-tone sound if I remember correctly, but not quite.  I don't have a link to any clips, but here's the schem...

http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/v/TheBigMan-Layouts/img20030803185645.jpg.html

there's another version floating around, but I can't seem to find it.

rackham

I built the Colorsound from one of Dragonfly's layouts.

I really like it (although the knobs seem to turn the wrong way - probably my mistake), it goes really 'How Soon Is Now' choppy when you turn the depth right up but it will smoothen out nicely at less extreme settings.

John Lyons

OOps! Screwed up those links...
If anyone wants a listen just go to this PAGE

Thanks for the schematic snoof. I'll have to look into that.

John

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/