Sudden Rat Death

Started by Fleetdog, November 01, 2007, 03:45:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fleetdog

A coworker brought me his Proco Rat today to have a look at.  He has had it for years with no problems then one day, he said he plugged into it and he got just a second of sound then it died.  No sound since.  I opened it up for a quick peek and I see no obviously broken wires or charred components.  Has anyone had experience with this sort of thing who could give me a likely first place to start looking.  I figured I would first use a multimeter just to check resistor values and idle voltages (if I can remember enough from school to calculate a few from the schematic).  Failing something there, I thought I'd try to build a simple audio tracer. 

Surely someone here has a better idea than this plan and I'm all ears. 

yertle

I would start by taking a look at the ic and transistor voltages first using a multimeter. Then get yourself an audio probe and start from the beginning of the circuit to the end to see where the signal 'stops'. good luck.

petemoore

Has anyone had experience with this sort of thing who could give me a likely first place to start looking.
  Yes, take a look at the debugging page [~top of threads], it outlines the information necessary to do 'effective' debugging...when visual inspection and dwiddling fail, this is the place to start completion of the debugging tasks..
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Fleetdog

Well, that didn't take long.  The lightbulb went on and I realized that this pedal is true bypass but we aren't getting any sound no matter what you do to the switch.  I ohmed the switch and found that the output side of the switch never has continuity between the throw and either pole.  Defective switch.  Should be an easy fix. 

I did look at the debug thread (briefly) before posting but it seemed to be directed mostly towards a new build that isn't working versus an old pedal that has worked for a long time.  I was looking mostly for components that are likely to fail over time.  I should have worded it better in my first post.

frokost

The debug thread, Geofex: http://www.geofex.com/fxdebug/fxdebug.htm and the audioprobe. Should take care of most things.

Processaurus

yes, the carlings they use are worthless.  Had to replace mine as well.