I built the rog mayqueen its not too good, need cranked vox circuit

Started by stopstopsmile, November 03, 2007, 06:56:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stopstopsmile

I built the rog may queen
it was noisy, noisy, noisy
I really don't like the sound.

I like the concept.  I believe there is too many trannies in that circuit.

I want to build a cranked voxy circuit, 1 knob, simple simple.
Basically a british voiced dirty rangemaster but with full range.

can anyone give me some help?

B Tremblay

Quote from: stopstopsmile on November 03, 2007, 06:56:53 AM

I want to build a cranked voxy circuit, 1 knob, simple simple.
Basically a british voiced dirty rangemaster but with full range.

can anyone give me some help?

You believe there are too many transistors?  Interesting.
B Tremblay
runoffgroove.com

s.r.v.

yeeshkul

rangemaster with the switch for the input cap. I play VOX+Les Paul myself and trust me that's the way ;)
also use week GE tranny (hfe 55-65) and try to find a good one (Matsuschita B175, ...) no noise no noise no noise :)

stopstopsmile

yeah too many trannies=noise imo
the english channel, overkill for me
I want a 1 knobber.

the rangemaster is a good idea but its too clean I almost need a modified silicon version.
I want it to be a rock pedal not just push the amp to rock. 

yeeshkul

B Tremblay

B Tremblay
runoffgroove.com

MetalGod

Quote from: stopstopsmile on November 03, 2007, 01:29:40 PM
yeah too many trannies=noise imo
the english channel, overkill for me
I want a 1 knobber.

the rangemaster is a good idea but its too clean I almost need a modified silicon version.
I want it to be a rock pedal not just push the amp to rock. 

Brian May treble boost? - mine is pretty pokey.

What amp are you using?

8)

boogietube

Build a treble boost and a Tonemender. The tonemender nails the VOX eq
Pedals Built- Morley ABC Box, Fultone A/B Box, DIY Stompboxes True Bypass box, GGG Drop in Wah, AMZ Mosfet Boost, ROG Flipster, ROG Tonemender, Tonepad Big Muff Pi.
On the bench:  Rebote 2.5,  Dr Boogie, TS808

John Lyons

The amount of knobs does not really make anything simple.
You can build a Soldano SLO 100 with only one knob if you want.
Transistors and the amount of them does not = noise necessarily.

There are a few Vox/marshall type circuits at ROG that will fit the bill you ask for.
Listen to the Sound clips and pick one or more to try.
The English channel, Thor, Eighteen are ones that you may like and are voxy/marshally

What anything sounds like depends on your amp, style and your guitar.
If you have a very clean amp they will be on the overdrive side.
With a slightly broken up amp tone they will be thicker and more "cranked".
Vox amps aren't that high gain so "cranked" is relative...

John

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

stumper1

DericĀ®

anchovie

Quote from: stopstopsmile on November 03, 2007, 06:56:53 AM

You are aware of the amount of transistors inside some ICs, aren't you? The May Queen has 2 bipolars and a JFET - hardly overkill!

Have you checked the bias voltages as per the schematic? Have you used an audio probe to pinpoint at what stage the noise is introduced? Have you considered at all that the noise may be down to the components you've used or your own building skills?
Bringing you yesterday's technology tomorrow.

stopstopsmile

Ive considered it all.  The circuit just doesn't work like I had hoped.  I agree the "too many"  transistor thing is a fetch.  I just think the gain structure is greating more gain.
I was thinking that there might be a way to do this in a different way, same simplistic style just a different version that creates the similiar tone of may and his voxes. 

MartyMart

Quote from: stopstopsmile on November 04, 2007, 06:27:14 AM
I was thinking that there might be a way to do this in a different way, same simplistic style just a different version that creates the similiar tone of may and his voxes. 

.... and there's the "rub" !
It's never going to be simple to recreate the combo of RM and cranked AC30's !!
In my opinion ( and ask anyone just how much stuff I've built !! ) you will get a decent AC30 tone from an English Channel
then, try sticking an RM / ROG Omega or BMTB ( brian may treble booster ) in front of it .......

OR - if you're after simple and high gain try the "Mockman" from runoffgroove and adjust caps/gain to suit.
An adjusted Dod250 / Dist + is also a simple and satisfying "gain monster" !
Marty.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

stopstopsmile

hey marty is there a way to modify a dod250 to have an english voxy tone to it?  I don't mean to put anything down but I just don't think I could build an english channel it looks more complex than I am capable of.  I liked the idea of the simple mayqueen but the tone just isn't working for me.  I had a friend check it out to make sure my build was ok and he said everything looked good.  Its just not getting me what I wanted thats all.  So I am curious about the dod250.  Can it be modified to do like a cool dirty english fullrange boost vox tone?

oldrocker

I don't have an answer to your question,  but I would suggest investing in a breadboard and experiment.  Everybody else's opinions which I wouldn't disagree with are just that, opinions.  The best thing to do is try them out and see what sounds best to you.  Breadboarding can save you alot of time and money in the long run.  There were many times that I took someone elses advice and built something that wasn't what I wanted.  But I was always able to tweak it to my liking. :icon_biggrin:

km-r

fets and other high gain transistors are verrrrrrryyy noisy when you leave long leads...
Look at it this way- everyone rags on air guitar here because everyone can play guitar.  If we were on a lawn mower forum, air guitar would be okay and they would ridicule air mowing.

yeeshkul

Try RM + Fetzer Valve ( http://www.runoffgroove.com/fetzervalve.html - the original circuit). It is easy to build and it has more drive than RM. You will need a P-FET to use it on the same circuit board as RM. The rest is completely the same as on the picture.