press 'n peel

Started by jrem, November 04, 2007, 07:41:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jrem

wow, first time using this stuff, and it smoked every other paper I've tried.  I could get used to this, real easy.  I'm sold.  No more Carvin catalog paper.  P'n P is worth the $2 or whatever per sheet.

snoof

I kinda came upon the same conclusion that you did.  Way spendy, but oh-so-easy :icon_wink:

Papa_lazerous

funny I started a thread saying I am going to start using shiny paper from magazines as its as good as press n peel for no money, different strokes for different folks I guess

jrem

Quote from: snoof on November 05, 2007, 02:48:56 PM
I kinda came upon the same conclusion that you did.  Way spendy, but oh-so-easy :icon_wink:

it's not really that bad as far as money goes, my circuits are all pretty small.  I use Eagle Lite to make the design (unless I download it), print it on paper, then cut a piece of P'n P, and tape the leading edge to the already-printed-upon-paper to cover up the design, and run the paper back through the printer.

viola, out comes a small piece of the stuff, ready for transfer.  I figure I could get at least a dozen, if not way more, circuits off each sheet.  That for the price of a domestic beer is way cheap, IMO.

jrem

Quote from: jrem on November 05, 2007, 03:01:42 PM
Quote from: snoof on November 05, 2007, 02:48:56 PM

didn't mean to hijack your thread, sorry.

drk

i used it too, its really easy and fast, great stuff

bside2234

I just got done doing a skyripper PCB using the backing of the labels I use to ship stuff.  Just printed it on the shiny side (laser printer) and ironed it on, let it cool, peel it off. No soaking!!! Worked great and was FREE!! Plus I think I can use the label backing again because it didn't get damaged from the heat and all the toner came off. So Double FREE!!!!

kleinberger

Another option is transparency film. Like the kind your teachers use in class. You can get the stuff by the sheet very cheaply at local Universities or Teacher supply stores.

Papa_lazerous

Quote from: kleinberger on November 05, 2007, 11:05:48 PM
Another option is transparency film. Like the kind your teachers use in class. You can get the stuff by the sheet very cheaply at local Universities or Teacher supply stores.

or your teachers supply cupboard lol

MikeH

I thought 2 bucks per sheet sounded like a lot, until I started using it and realized how many pcbs you can make out of one sheet.  You figure 8.5x11 is 93.5 sq. in, and at an average of 2x2in (4 sq. in) for each pcb, you can make 23.375 pcbs on one sheet.  Realistically, it's more like 20, which is a dime per pcb.  Which is pretty damn cheap considering how well the stuff works.
"Sounds like a Fab Metal to me." -DougH

snoof

my thoughts exactly.  i used the same sheet for at least 10 boards, some of them were pretty big.

BubbaKahuna

Quote from: bside2234 on November 05, 2007, 07:51:19 PM
I just got done doing a skyripper PCB using the backing of the labels I use to ship stuff.  Just printed it on the shiny side (laser printer) and ironed it on, let it cool, peel it off. No soaking!!! Worked great and was FREE!! Plus I think I can use the label backing again because it didn't get damaged from the heat and all the toner came off. So Double FREE!!!!

I can't believe I never thought of this one! Schwing!

Anyone who prints labels for CDRs will have full sized sheets of this stuff in their trash right now.
I'm going to try it right now!

Cheers,
- JJ

My Momma always said, "Stultus est sicut stultus facit".
She was funny like that.

bside2234

Quote from: BubbaKahuna on November 06, 2007, 11:00:33 PM
Quote from: bside2234 on November 05, 2007, 07:51:19 PM

I can't believe I never thought of this one! Schwing!

Anyone who prints labels for CDRs will have full sized sheets of this stuff in their trash right now.
I'm going to try it right now!

Cheers,
- JJ

It works great! I just got done doing 3 more. I just found out that I can use pieces smaller than 8.5 x 11 if I feed it in the manual feed slot on the front of my laser printer so I don't even throw the scraps from when I cut labels up away anymore. ;D

culturejam

Quote from: kleinberger on November 05, 2007, 11:05:48 PM

Do you iron the transparency sheets directly? I would think the iron would melt it.

This might also be a cool way to do lettering and graphics on an enclosure.

railhead

Quote from: culturejam on November 07, 2007, 09:53:53 AM

Do you iron the transparency sheets directly? I would think the iron would melt it.

This might also be a cool way to do lettering and graphics on an enclosure.

I use a handkerchief between the transparency and the iron.

I tried PnP a couple of times, but I never could tell when it was transferred like I can with transparency sheets.

s.r.v.

am i right to think that i could do a decal on PNP blue and then iron it on to a prepainted pedal with good results?

railhead

All that would do would be to transfer the black image onto the pedal. If that's what you want, then yeah -- but you have to hope you don't screw up the existing paint and clear coat.