ts->bluesbreaker add a resistor in series with diodes

Started by searoad, November 06, 2007, 10:01:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

searoad

hi all!
i wanna mod my diy ts more different except changing clipping diodes
so i added a resistor in series with diodes like blues breaker's arrangement

according to GM arts:
The Blues Breaker uses silicon diodes in series with a resistor, in the op-amp feedback path for very soft clipping.   It's therefore a very subtle pedal, with warm sounds at low to medium overdrive, but can sound a little fuzzy at high gain.   Retention of guitar timbre and dynamics is good, and intermodulation (read above) is acceptable.

however it turned out more comressed and distorted even the drive pot set low
i didnt change other componets (2 1n4148 in parllel and the drive po plus 51k over 4k7 section)
the resistor i added was 4k7 (close to 6k8 in blues breaker)
has anyone moded ts like this
or can anyone explain how this resistor work?
thx!!

frankclarke

I actually converted a screamer to a Bluesbreaker once, a lot of work really. I don't understand the bit about not changing the existing diodes.

frankclarke

OK, I reread what you said. Sounds like you broke something, put it back the way it was and try again carefully. A resistor in series with the diodes would give you less distortion.

Mark Hammer

I've modded a couple of Tube screamers by sticking either a switchable or a variable resistance in series with one of the diodes to provide asymmetrical clipping.  It should raise the apparent clipping threshold such that you have to dig a little harder into a note to hear clipping. particularly if the resistance is in series with both diodes.

Sounds to me like you either created a solder bridge somewhere during the mod or else connected it somewhere you hadn't planned on during the top-to-bottom flip (happens to me often; easy to lose your place during the transition).

JDoyle

Quote from: frankclarke on November 06, 2007, 04:21:59 PM
OK, I reread what you said. Sounds like you broke something, put it back the way it was and try again carefully. A resistor in series with the diodes would give you less distortion.
Exactly. If I had to guess, your Drive pot is not longer connected and the op amp is at full gain.

searoad

thx for sharing!!
i found the drive pot actis somehow like a reverse log pot
the gain increases fast and the max gain is increased too
i'd see if it needs debugging since i loves the way it is now

sorry my english is poor :icon_confused: