Side by side capacitor shootout!

Started by BubbaKahuna, November 10, 2007, 03:19:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

soulsonic

Alot of times I like to use mojo parts just because they're better made and higher quality. I don't like using junky cheap parts! If I'm going to go through the trouble building something myself, I want it to be nice! That's the #1 reason to use mojo parts in my opinion - I really don't care if it sounds any better, just as long as it doesn't sound worse, and I really love nice parts that are beautiful and made to last forever.
Check out my NEW DIY site - http://solgrind.wordpress.com

Pedal love

Quote from: soulsonic on November 16, 2007, 12:28:42 AM
Alot of times I like to use mojo parts just because they're better made and higher quality. I don't like using junky cheap parts! If I'm going to go through the trouble building something myself, I want it to be nice! That's the #1 reason to use mojo parts in my opinion - I really don't care if it sounds any better, just as long as it doesn't sound worse, and I really love nice parts that are beautiful and made to last forever.

Wow, with testimonials like this, I'm sorry I gave up my site.:icon_lol:

greigoroth

Nice call Soulsonic. It is like going on a first date with your best pair of underpants on, or going to a stupid dinner and having the knot in one's tie "just so" - it doesn't matter that no-one will ever see the underpants, or that no-one will ever notice that the tie is "just so", because I know, and thus dig it. And DIY is about building stuff you dig, if anything! However, if I was selling something than I would want to be able to justify to the customer why something exists and what it does that is better than the alternative.

That said...

I still really hope that BubbaKahuna goes through with the test, under the conditions described by Brian H, namely

"build a rangemaster with caps on a rotary switch.
record a loop into a looper or computer so it is played with the same nuance every time.
send that through the rangemaster and record multiple clips, each one with a different cap type.
be sure to include some duplicate clips to trick people... Wink
maybe ceramic, poly film, paper/oil, mica, electo np, electro +/-, tantalum?
8-10 clips total.  no labels.  leave the poll up for a week, then give the results.  hopefully more than 30 or 40 people will chime in."

It would be awesome and a great way to settle the argument soundwise (given that I think soulsonic's justification is as good as any on a personal level).

Built: GGG Green Ringer

Albot

+1

I would realy like to get a few fishcaps just because they look nice!
Can't find any though.  ::)

Electric_Death

what about resistors?
1/4 vs 1/2 watt
Carbon vs metallic

One of the easiest ways to compare is just get a 12 pos. single pole switch and solder a bunch on there. This is how I noticed a difference in my electrolytic caps of the same values and voltages which led me to favor the high temp neon green Xicons, they're more defined compared to the others I posed them against and also brought out pinch harmonics noticeably better. In some cases, the 1/2 watt carbon resistors sound fatter to me, particularly in filters. Just like those brown polypropylene caps, they sound rounder and fatter when I switch between those and the green polyester which are boldly cruder sounding in high pass filters.

As for those that don't hear the difference, I say just compare a ceramic to a poly cap or better yet, tantalum to a poly.
It's like comparing sandpaper to silk.

bumblebee

very good reason!