Switchable TS to SD-1 Mod?

Started by Paul Marossy, November 11, 2007, 02:11:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Marossy

QuoteThe SD-1 and TS-9 (and 808) are the same circuit with the main difference (design wise) being the asymmetrical versus symmetrical clipping.  There's almost 20 part differences (value wise) between the two.  I went through and changed my SD-1 to TS-808 specs and it sounds WAY different now.

Hmm... cheap way to get a TS clone with a nice enclosure?  :icon_wink:

vanhansen

Quote from: Paul Marossy on November 14, 2007, 09:57:37 AM
QuoteThe SD-1 and TS-9 (and 808) are the same circuit with the main difference (design wise) being the asymmetrical versus symmetrical clipping.  There's almost 20 part differences (value wise) between the two.  I went through and changed my SD-1 to TS-808 specs and it sounds WAY different now.

Hmm... cheap way to get a TS clone with a nice enclosure?  :icon_wink:

Yup.  I learned a lot along the way just doing that too.  Add a switch that'll switch in and out D6 to go between symmetrical and asymmetrical clipping.  You can also add in a bass boost switch -  C3, go from 0.047uf to 0.1uf.  That is really the only cap that needs to be changed to increase the bass.  Increasing too many others turns it in to mud.

Once I got done with it, I was A/Bing it against my bandmate's real 808 and it sounds REALLY close to it.  Mine still has asymmetrical clipping and I know that is making a big diff.  I'm probably going to add a toggle in for that one.  I didn't mess with the tone control section either.
Erik

Paul Marossy

Cool, thanks for the info guys!  :icon_cool:

vanhansen

No prob, Paul.  Check the SD-1 Mods page on my site.  It's all documented there.
Erik