Yet another [interesting] PnP blue technique??

Started by aloupos, November 11, 2007, 07:30:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aloupos

Has anyone tried this: 

http://eegeek.net/content/view/34/31/

They use a round dowel (or drill bit) under the pcb board when they iron it.  This creates a fulcrum of sorts that focuses more force on a specific point, supposedly creating traces down to 10 mil.  I tried it, but had trouble with the PnP sliding on the pcb. 

Another point.  Let me start by saying I usually get decent pcb results using PnP.  I made some time today to try a bunch of different approaches ... most produced mediocre results, except one, which I think is interesting, because it involves the least amount of work.  I'll share it, even though there's been a million approaches outlined, in hope that it helps someone: 

1.  Prep board as usual.  I used green scrubby pads and bon-ami. 

2.  You need to find the setting on your iron that is the hottest possible setting that doesn't make the traces smear.  This requires some trial and error.

3.  Put the PnP on top of the cleaned board, and carefully lay the iron on top of it. 

4.  Wait 10 minutes, drench the board in cold water until the back of the board is also cold. 

5.  Carefully peal off the PnP.  Repeat if necessary, most of the time not necessary. 

Really razor sharp traces are produced using the above. 

Anthony