The most generic..sustainer...ever??

Started by Electric_Death, November 11, 2007, 09:33:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Electric_Death

I've got enough guitars to experiment with some sustainer ideas and after looking over what seems to be the most common, a resonator coil, couldn't I just eliminate my middle pickup by installing a 3 way switch and wire in an onboard preamps output to my now unused middle pickup's leads?
You have your magnetic field and resonator coil in a pickup that doesn't see much use depending who you are or for me, which guitar of mine it is. I've got several guitars I won't mind the loss of the middle pickup if it works, I'm about to take a few test runs and I'll be back with the results.

Makes sense to me but I'm never one to deny some of my concepts are guess work.

Processaurus

Hi, it would work I believe, except that pickup wire is impossibly thin and delicate, and couldn't stand any appreciable amount of current.  Also the resistance (~6K for a single coil) is much too high to get any drive.

Electric_Death

Ah I see but, I don't see how there's going to be any real level of current coming out of a preamp driven by a 9 volt, even if you use a voltage doubler or tripler, the current will be decreased. With as many windings as a pickup has, I'm inclined to believe that it will stand up to high voltage, low current so I'm going to give it a few more tries because I must admit, I simply used a 1/4 splitter on my guitar's output, sent a lead to my amp and pedal and another lead to my smash drive, connected it's output to a spare single coil and attempted to use it like an ebow.
I got some wild feedback but no sustain however, I suspect that's because the pickup wasn't spring mounted and allowed to physically oscillate. Then again, even with it mounted there's so much mass that it still might not work but I'll keep trying until I'm certain my idea has been defeated.